Help needed! - Desktop's stuck

Discussion in 'macOS' started by juhani, Mar 29, 2006.

1. juhani macrumors member

juhani

Hi guys,

I need help! Cause i think i really screwed up something now.. :eek: I'm using PB G4 1.5GHz (12") with MacOSX 10.4. I've been using this machine for a year and a half by now and that's the first time i've had any problems with it. Anyway.. here's the thing...

When i start up and log in my dock doesn't come up. Also i cannot select any folders or files on the desktop or click on any other things with the mouse. It feels like the whole desktop is kind of frozen, my background image is also missing. I still have the top bar though (although there's some stuff missing from it) and open a new Finder window from there. I've already tried to repair the disc permissions using the Disk Utility but it doesn't seem to be working. I also cleaned the cashe with Cashe Out X and ran MacJanitor and tried to clean things up this way but they couldn't solve the problem either.

When i first installed Tiger i also created an account TrS (as TroubleShooting) and everything's seem to be working there. So i guess the problem is with my account only.

It all happened after importing a movie from a camera to iMovie. When i finished i wanted to "save as" it to my iPod as it was so huge (12GB) it filled the rest of my hard drive. But then it got stuck and i had to force quit iMovie and then tried to delete the half-copied file from my iPod but then it got stuck again and then it really got mad at me. I guess i shouldn't have messed with the iMovie to copy the movie but should've used Finder instead. Don't ask why i didn't do that... :(

Anyway.. help me out, please! Should i try deleting some of my preference files or what? In that case.. which ones exactly???

Thanks in advance,
    juhani

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You wanna delete preferences? Okay, start with com.apple.dock.plist and then move on to com.apple.finder.plist and then restart. Is that a little better? :)

3. juhani thread starter macrumors member

juhani

bloody hell.. :eek: that WAS fast!!! Thanks indeed! Everything's up and running now again... Internet is a great thing after all... :rolleyes: