help needed for bluetooth network!..

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by toughboy, Nov 15, 2003.

1. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

I bought a Bluetooth Class1 adaptor to my PC so that I can connect my PC and 12"Powerbook G4 and my cel. phone..

I guess I made all the required installations on my PC, but I can't do anything on my mac.. I guess I need to build up a network on my 12"PB but I dont know how to do it.. I tried to do somethings on the System Preferences/Network, but I dont know what whose things stand for.. I need help... please..

Thanks in advance..

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Re: help needed for bluetooth network!..

I know it depends what you want to do with it but Bluetooth isn't really a heavy duty networking solution. It's range isn't up to much for starters. If you just want to sync a few files between machines then that may be OK. Wireless (airport, AE) is a much better idea for serious networking.

Anyway, you need to pair the devices via the Bluetooth icon in System Prefs then go to paired devices. To copy files across you need to use Bluetooth file exchange (which is in Utilities). It needs to be running on the receiving machine and you can drag files onto the icon on the sending machine. Sorry I can't be more help a I don't have bluetooth and I'm just telling you what 'Mac OS X Hacks' says

3. toughboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

toughboy

thank you for the reply.

I know that it's not a good networking solution, but I only have dial-up connection, and bluetooth has 700kbps of bandwidth capacity, so I guess its kind of enough for me.. plus, its just 30USD where airport ext card is 100USD and base station is abouve 100 too.. will be cheaper if it works..

I could transfer files, I could pair, and made two computers recognize eachother, but I couldn't make my PB surf on internet via my PCs dialup connection..

the point that I dont understand is, when I connect my ethernet cable, it automaticly works without any configurations... but bluetooth doesnt...

4. toughboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

toughboy

on the network section of my PC, it shows a Bluetooth network. it has a icon just like the LAN icon.. but my powerbook doesnt seem to care it..
    maybe the problem is something about this?..