Help needed: iBook keeps blowing fuses

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Spanky Deluxe, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK
    I've got an iBook here just out of warranty, about a year and a week old. I got it without a hard drive. When I turned it on a flashing globe appeared then a flashing folder, obviously because there was no hard drive in there. I opened it all up and attatched a hard drive out of another 'book. I powered it up (still in pieces) so as to test it. The blue globe flashed and then it shut off. Not only had it shut off but the fuse in the power supply had blown.
    I disconnected the hard drive, replaced the fuse and tried again. Blue globe, flashing folder. Turned off, plugged in the hard drive, blown fuse again. I went to the electrical shop, bought some more fuses came back and found a little piece of metal under the 'book. Its a part of the ibook, but I don't know where from and this could easily have fallen next to the book just a moment ago from when I was rustleing around trying to find fuses (it may not have been there when the fault was occuring).
    Now when I turn it on (with or without a hard drive) the cd rom drive initialises and then it turns off and the fuse blows. Looking over the circuit board I can't find any fault, no blown circuitry, nothing. Sometimes when it turns on the globe flashes once and then it turns off. I've tried a spare DC board and the same problem occurs.

Any ideas?

Edit: I managed to hook the ibook up to its battery and everything worked fine. I guess there must be something amiss with the power unit, I'll have to open that up and have a look. :( At least nothing on the 'book is cooked though! :)
  2. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2005
    Do a PMU reset.