Help Needed-iBook Video Adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by meginz, Dec 16, 2002.

1. meginz macrumors newbie

Dec 16, 2002
    I was the owner of a thinkpad for a long while and just switched to an iBook, which has been great, but I haven't been able to answer my questions with my manual, or through the help of my mac-savvy friends (no one has this model). Part of what attracted me to this laptop is its capability to connect to a television and play dvd's. Upon my first try, I received the wrong cable and the company apologized and sent the correct model, but this cable is only about four inches long and has a video out side (about half an inch wide) and a larger outlet piece with a female port with four holes and a male yellow out. How do I use this cable to connect to the tv? (the model is a 12" 700mhz combo-drive, recent model) Does this connector require another cable?

ps. does anyone know how to change my internet connect setting so that my computer can stay connected while inactive for a set amount of time?

Thanks for your time
  2. lmalave macrumors 68000

Nov 8, 2002
    Chinatown NYC
    I'm assuming you ordered the iBook S-Video/Composite Video adapter:

(since the iBook already ships with a standard VGA adapter).

This means that your TV must have Composite Video (the Red-White-Yellow cables) or S-Video inputs. If your TV only has standard (coaxial) cable input, then you'll need some other kind of video adapter. Most TVs nowadays have composite video input, though. Keep in mind that in composite video, the Yellow plug carries the video signal, and the Red and White ones carry the sound signals (for left and right speaker, I think...). So if you want to connect the sound output of your iBook to your TV's red and white composite video inputs, you will also need an audio adapter (I think it's called a mini-headphone jack to RCA adapter or something). Anyway, hope this helps!
  3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    You should have the adapter pictured below, if you don't, well, that's a problem. ;)

You will probably need to provide the s-video or composite cables to go from the adapter to the TV.

Attached Files: