Help Needed iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ScarletRed, Jul 19, 2006.

1. ScarletRed macrumors regular

ScarletRed

Hello. I am new to Mac and I am new to iTunes. And I am truly clueless. I tried internet search to no avail. I tried iTunes help without luck. So I now turn to you for help.

On my PC, I can import songs to MP3 format and store them on my hard drive easily. I wish to do the same with my new MBP using iTunes, only I do not know how. I do not wish to burn entire CDs. I do not wish to import to AIFF (whatever that means) format. I just want to import a select few songs from audio CDs to MP3 files and store them on my hard drive. How would I do this?

Help would be much appreciated.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Go to iTunes --> Preferences --> Advanced --> Importing

Under "Import Using:," select "MP3 Encoder." Then when you stick a CD into your computer, you can highlight the songs you want and then click Import.

3. ScarletRed thread starter macrumors regular

ScarletRed

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

In iTunes, it's easiest to import selected songs from a CD like this:

[​IMG]

Tracks 2, 4, 6 and 8 won't import, as I've clicked the little tick box next to them...

Attached Files:

5. Frisco macrumors 68020

And

Welcome to Macintosh and Macrumors!

Frisco

6. ScarletRed thread starter macrumors regular

ScarletRed

Thank you for the help, everyone.

I do have one more question (actually, it's a whole bunch of questions). It appears that Apple's default encoder is AAC instead of MP3. Why is this so? Is there something inherently superior about AAC encoding vs. popular MP3? Can an iPod also play AAC-encoded music files?

If I were to compare two files, both imported from the same song at 160 kbps with one in AAC and the other as an MP3, which would have larger file size? Or would they be the same?

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

AAC is the format Apple has chosen to support through the iTunes Music Store and as the default encoder for iTunes because of its good quality/file size ratio, among other things. An iPod can play MP3 and AAC songs.

A song encoded at 160 kbps will be the same size whether it's encoded in MP3 or AAC...the 160 kbps (bitrate) is what determines the file size. But the AAC version should sound a bit better than the MP3. Another way to look at is that you should be able have a 128 kbps AAC file that sounds as good as a 160 kbps MP3 (approximately), thus enabling you to have smaller files, which lets you store more songs on your iPod

8. ScarletRed thread starter macrumors regular

ScarletRed

So then songs downloaded from iTunes are AAC encoded. But what kbps are they?

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

10. ScarletRed thread starter macrumors regular

ScarletRed

Oh... I've been making AAC-encoded files onto my HD at 256 kbp. I wonder if that's an overkill. I guess I'll find out soon enough with a pair of Shure's E500 earphones.

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It really depends on the person. People are able to pick up on the quality loss at different thresholds. Of course, better quality equipment will make that easier to do, and you're getting a nice set of earphones.

12. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I Prefer AAC to Mp3 simply because I've read they are slightly superior...

But, Mp3 is more compatable with my buddies' Pee Cee's