Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyersgl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
South Jersey, USA
Hello, looking for some help related to iCloud. I have a 27" iMac, 2 iPads, and iPhone and a 2011 11" MBA. I have iCloud enabled on all devices, and with the exception of my MBA, bookmarks, photos, etc are synched across the devices, but they are not on the MBA. My iTunes purchases are, but maybe that's a function of iTunes not iCloud?

I've done the basic steps I have seen online to resolve this issue, but from what I can tell it is set up properly, but I can't get it to sync.

I am really talking about my bookmarks here at this point because I DON'T have iPhotos fully enabled. I'd ultimately like to clear the photos on the MBA, and rely on iCloud (original files of all are on iMac, in the cloud and backed up on an external drive) but I am afraid that if I delete photos on the MBA, they will be deleted on the cloud once I get properly connected.

I guess, then, I have 2 questions--any advice on other things to try to get sync working? Once I get that working, how do I clear locally stored photos w/out wiping them out in the cloud?

Worried that my only option is to do a full restore on the MBA and set up as new, but there are not enough hours in the day for that!

cincygolfgrrl

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
Somewhere In Time
I don't use Apple Photos so anything I suggest would be pure speculation. However, I have almost the same devices you do, and use iCloud to sync everything.

1. On your MBA, select the  menu from the top left of your screen, then click on System Preferences.
2. Find the iCloud icon, then click on it.
3. Click Account Details — You'll need to enter your username/password
4. Click Devices
5. If your MBA isn't selected, do so.

I can't give you an ironclad guarantee this will work. If you don't go mucking around in the settings you shouldn't break anything. If nothing else it will give you an opportunity to see what's what. If that doesn't work, do the same on your iMac to see if the MBA is even listed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.