Help needed- Newbie question (webcam)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Peter Griffin, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Peter Griffin macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005
    I'm on the verge of getting an iBook. The only thing holding me back is the ability to use my webcam with PC users. Is this possible? I use MSN messenger and currently the mac version does not provide for webcam capabilities. What other options should I consider? This is a really important factor in my decision becuse I need to communicate with people overseas and they all use PCs. Thansk for the help
  2. TBi macrumors 68030

Jul 26, 2005
    Unfortunatly the first thing you'll have to worry about is whether your cam will actually work. You might have to get a new webcam which is compatible with macs. I have two USB ones and neither is compatible.

As for compatible chat programs. You don't need to use msn for cam, you can use other programs which will also have a pc version. I don't know any off hand but i'm sure there are a few people on the forum who have more knowledge than me.

Just found this on google
  3. jkeithh macrumors regular

Oct 13, 2002
    The main program I have used that seems to work between PCs and Macs is Yahoo Messenger.
  4. Peter Griffin thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005