help needed, software routers in MAC OS X!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by amnesiac1984, Sep 6, 2002.

1. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Hi all.

Trying to configure my old beige G3 as a software router for my network running mac os x. I have installed some software alled geeroute which is meant to worjk with no configuration, but it doesn't. any answers? or more questions about my setup?

Mac OS X.1.5 dialup 56k modem, all internet correctly configured on the beige with a TiBook and an iMac as clients, have followed instructions on the geeroute website http://geeroute.zero.com.hk/

if you have no idea about geeroute then please could you tell me another way of setting this up for free! I'm willing to dig around in the terminal if necessary! :)
    please help!!!

P.S I'm getting jaguar soon, does it include a better router? Does software base station allow you to configure a wired routing network?

Thanks in advance

2. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

what is it you are trying to do? are you trying to share an internet connection with 3 comps? are you trying to make 3 comps accessible to the world (eg a web server and dns machine)? if you help me know what you want to do, i can help you to do it (maybe).

-buff

3. amnesiac1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hi, thanx buff

i just want us all to be able to browse, email, and generally get on the web, we used to use ipnetrouter on an old quadra but i am in the process of setitn gup my old g3 with g4 upgrade as a server for our home network. soon we will be getting cable but I want this to work with our Dial up for now. I will also be getting jaguar very soon, will it be a lot easier in jag do you know? should I jsut wait til getting jaguar?

4. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

with jaguar you will be able to act as a "router". the correct term is IP Filter. software base station is just propaganda for the OS 9 users. its basically an IP filter that will masquerade on any interface.

in short, yes, it will route either the wired connection or the wireless.

one caveat...you can have only one connection on the wireless card:

you CAN share out a WIRED connection over Airport
    you CAN share out an Airport connection over Ethernet
    you CAN share out a WIRED connection over Ethernet
    you CANNOT share out an Airport connection over Airport

WIRED = 56k OR ETHERNET

5. amnesiac1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanx sparkleytone,

just one more question, will this be as simple as setting up a prefpane in system prefs?

thanx, I've gone back to using the quadra for the weekend as the apple store uk has just confirmed my new Powermac G4 will arrive on monday (about time) along with a copy of jaguar which will be fun!!

thankyou all

6. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

yeah. its under sharing. just click the button.

7. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

if you buy a $20 blind hub (not a $200 router) you will be able to share the internet connection no problem. you wont even need any drivers or other software. Seriously. that is so easy. if you go that route you can come back here and ask me how and i will walk you through it. dont need jaguar to do it. though i do share a connection via airport, and love it.

8. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Excellent response, but...

IP Filter is a very specific implementation of a NAT router, and that probably is what apple used to implement their Internet connection sharing feature. "Router" is also a correct term, but is just more generic. In his use of the term router, he was asking for a solution that would take packets whose destination address are not on the same link, whose next hop is "the router" which would then send the packets out whichever interface "the router" has that has the most specific route for the destination address.

So the correct term is IP Filter, but is also a router. ipchains is another solution, but I am not sure that anyone has compiled it for OS X and it is much more complicated (then checking a box in a windows), but does allow you to have a stub router (share a connection over the same link that the hosts are on). I had an old Pentium 90 running linux that did this. It had one ethernet interface, it would make a PPPoE connection over the Ethernet through my dsl modem. It would route (via NAT) any packets that came in over the same ethernet connection. It was pretty cool.

This makes me think again... Why did apple disallow pppoe connections over airport? Not everyone has an airport base station. Some people have 802.11b access points that do not support pppoe. I got rid if my old lucent ap-500, because it was annoying that I could not connect to the internet via wireless from my mac.

9. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

no offense, but why are we debating this? Am i misunderstanding (I often do). But, if all he wants to do is share an internet connection between several computers, why doesnt he march himself down to compusa, bestbuy, etc and buy himself a $20 hub? He would have to have dsl or a cabel modem for this to work, i suppose.

10. amnesiac1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

okay so here goes.

i've already got an 8 port hub, its pretty old but its all i need. its a d-link de-809tc.

now when I get jaguar on monday it will be straightforward to share one computers modem connection with the networked computers that are connected to the hub. right?

but in a couple of weeks we will get cable, this will probably be a box with both an ethernet port and a USB port (the modem that is). Now what is the best solution then? I'm also looking at getting a basic router like the buffallo airstation. the thing is i'm off to uni in 2 weeks and i'd like to get it sorted so my dad can run his business from home.

So if I decided to keep the G3 as a software router, would I need to get another ethernet card or can I plug the cable modem into one of the hub's ports and configure the computer as a router/ip filter (whatever :D)?

thanks guys, this is all very interesting and I'm learning a lot.

11. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Some cable companies limit their cable modems to one learned mac address. If this is the case, then you will want the cable modem connected to a router, not a hub or a switch, since the cable modem would be able to see all the computers, and you would be asking for trouble.

The truly best way to do all this is to buy a netgear or linksys dsl router. This will allow you to turn off your computer that you would otherwise have been using for a router.

If you are lucky, and your cable company modem does not freak out when it realizes that it is connected to a lan, then you could use the mac to share your connection.

The dsl/cable nat routers are super cheap. less than $100. It would truly be the best way to deal with your problem.

12. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

on this side of the pond, my dsl company sold me a modem (they actually sell them cheap as an incentive) when i signed on. the dsl modem is actually a cisco 678 router.

13. amnesiac1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

okay, thanks guys

i'll try to persuade my dad to get a nat router, there was a review of wireless routers like the airport and the buffallo is £112 and the winner of the test.

My dad has a TiBook so if we get this one then he can add an airport card and go wireless.!!

cheers all