Help Needed: Song Mixing Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FrankieShakes, Apr 30, 2005.

1. FrankieShakes macrumors member

Hey all,

I'm in a bit of a jam... I'm working on an iDVD project for my parent's friends. One thing I'm trying to do is have multiple songs play while the photo slideshow cycles through. Unfortunately, iDVD plays the full song, so having apx. 8-10 songs cycle through will take forever (each photo will be displayed too long on the screen).

Is there any software that would allow me to take a bunch of songs, and define a length for each to be played, thus creating a single "mix" MP3 file?

I'd appreciate any information you can provide...

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Bung it all in Garageband, edit, export to iTunes, convert to MP3.

3. FrankieShakes thread starter macrumors member

WinterMute,

I can just open them all into GarageBand? Can I create a single song out these multiple tracks, or will I have to create separate "mini" clips of each song?

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

You've got 24 audio tracks to play with, stick each song on a track, edit each one to the length you want, use the volume automation to crossfade end/starts if you want to, sequence the tracks in the order you want and then bounce it all to iTunes as one big track.

Your slideshow will automatically stretch to the same length. (You knew that already didn't you?:D )

You don't even need to convert to MP3 really, just use the .aiff file from iTunes directly in iDVD.

5. FrankieShakes thread starter macrumors member

WinterMute,

Wow, that worked so smoothly... Thanks so much for the recommendation. I would never have thought about GB for creating a smooth mix. It turned out really nice. One thing I had a problem with was the "time" increments... For some reason rather than each increment representing a second of time, it represented 2 seconds. So 60 time increments meant 2 minutes rather than 1. Not sure why...

Thanks again, it's much appreciated!

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

GB is a lot more capable than most people think... :D

The time scale in GB can be stretched out, grab the little slider at the bottom left of the main track list, move it right and the time line gets higher res, move it left and it lowers the res, the time-line is in bars and beats though, not seconds, so at 120 beats per minute, each 2 beats IS a second.

Is that what you meant?