Help needed - trying to find AC adapter for external HD caddy…

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thequicksilver, Mar 9, 2006.

1. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

I bought an external hard drive caddy in January, which I'm very pleased with. Unfortunately, the power adapter failed soon afterwards, and after a long discussion with the company I bought it from, they are offering me a full refund.

However, I got a very nice enclosure for such a price that I don't want a refund, I want a new power adapter. The company don't have any, so before I accept the refund, I want to scour the net for one and see if I can pick one up for a worthwhile price.

SO… can anyone tell me what one would call a power adapter like this? It uses a connector almost like a PC's PS/2 connector for a keyboard and mouse. It's the same type that my external DVD writer uses (so I've been able to use the enclosure in the meantime, just not at the same time as my DVD writer) so I presume it's fairly commonplace.

If anyone could supply any links, any specific names for this kind of connector that I should search for, or sites in the UK which sell these at a good price, I'd be very grateful.

Attached Files:

2. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Try Maplin's http://www.maplin.co.uk as they stock most things.

I was given a WD 250GB External Drive a few months ago but had no cables. I found the same drive on Maplins site and emailed there customer services saying I have this drive (gave them there product code) and need a new AC Adaptor, do you have any.

They came back in a few hours to say yes £7.50 plus £2 shipping and I had it in a couple of days! Great help.

3. thequicksilver thread starter macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Thanks for the idea, I managed to get into my local Maplin store this afternoon. Unfortunately they hadn't got anything suitable. :(

Will keep trying though…

4. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Try http://cpc.farnell.com - they usually have a range of power adaptors available. They also do loads of adaptors and may have what you need to convert from the standard 2.1 or 2.5 mm plug to the DIN-style plug I think you mean.
    Tha alternative is to cut the plug off the old power supply and solder it onto the new one - provided you can work out which conductor does what.