Help needed: Web-based file "drop box"

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bluebomberman, Nov 2, 2005.

1. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

I was wondering if any of you can help me with a problem I have at work. I need a web-based method for students to transmit large MSOffice files to me. There needs to be a timestamp and little room for error.

I've ruled out using our school's email systems: slow, limited attachment size, and a high error rate (mostly due to incorrectly typing in my email address; unfortunately, it's an incredibly convenient backdoor method of handing in stuff late without penalty.)

The reaosn this is happening is because I'm ordered to stop using our flaky Blackboard server. Of course, they don't bother setting up an alternative for me. Plus, the computer lab's desktops cannot install programsso I'd have to hound the admin continuously for days. I can pressure the admins to get FTP access software installed, but FTP's not the most elegant way to send assignments in.

Any ideas?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You can do this with some PHP programming, if your web host has PHP installed. It may take modifying some parameters on the web server as well.

Talk to the ISP, or if you want this done commercially, my host's programmer has built exactly this for several clients of ours and can rig you up with it for a reasonable price.

3. bluebomberman thread starter macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Ugh. Doesn't sound easy. What's a "reasonable price?" I am a public school teacher, you know, so I'd rather not spend barrels of money on this. I'd rather pass out USB flash drives in class...

Thanks for your help!

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Obviously it will vary depending on your setup, but probably about $100
    It will require password access to the ISP account and of course the host has to be running appropriate server software such as PHP

5. belvdr macrumors 601

You might find a pre-written solution for free. I'd google around for this as it seems this would be something many people would like to have.