Help needed with Final Cut

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mac pro, Jul 21, 2006.

1. mac pro macrumors member

Hello.

I am using Final Cut express HD to import video from my camera. Is there any way I can have the video that is imported be automatically separated into separate clips from the DV start and stop points? I know about the mark DV start/stop detect, but that doesnt automatically separate the clips in the browser...PLZ help.

2. mac pro thread starter macrumors member

3. PegasusMedia macrumors member

Sorry but the answer is no. You have to do it the old fashioned way, making in & outs on the tape & then batch capturing. But the good news is it's Friday night! So you can do it with an ice cold brew in hand!

At least that's how I do it.

4. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

You could probably use start / stop detect to get the segments, then export using batch export.

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

use imovie. then open final cut - new project, open (the imovie project) your clips will appear in the browser

6. mac pro thread starter macrumors member

I tried doing that, but if you try, the video appears all choppy and unviewable.

7. mac pro thread starter macrumors member

Now...I am curious to what you mean by batch export?

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

that's weird i did this method before and it worked fine... :confused:

9. mac pro thread starter macrumors member

Could the problem be that im using the same HD that im using to boot OS X?

10. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I seriously doubt that -- I've never had any trouble cutting DV stored on the boot drive, even back when I was editing on a 400Mhz G3 iMac.

11. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

Carl Spackler

Put each segment into it's own appropriately named timeline. Select each timeline from the Browser, then File > Batch Export. This will bring up new frame, which will allow you to export them, resulting in indavidual files. I would think that's one way to do it. Just a thought.

12. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

That's because for some reason when iMovie projects are imported into Final Cut, the audio needs to be rendered. If you only opened the clips in the Viewer, you will see that the clips are very choppy because the audio is not rendered. Bring the clips into the timeline and you will notice a red bar that appears at the top of the Timeline window which indicates that the audio needs rendereing. Once you render the audio (option+r), it will play back smoothly. I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY