Help Needed With My Ibook 14inch..please!!...someone?!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sowf, Feb 3, 2003.

1. sowf macrumors newbie

i just recently purchased an ibook 14inch (with ram bumped up to 640)...i will be using it for graphics eg..photoshop quark etc....but as i am still new to mac.. im having problems with learning whether to use my internet explorer in os 9.2...or use the version in os x..( i know it may sound stupid to some of u but im really baffled!!).....and also can i only use my graphics packages in os 9?.....or is there a way i can use them in os x?......ive been using os 9 for a while now....and ive been using it on my new ibook...only going into os x to mess around with it and get a feel for it etc....is it basically 2 working platforms in one?......switching between the two as i see fit?!...should i stick to os 9.2 while i do graphics etc..(as this o.s is what i know..........or do i stay using o.s x......and only revert back to o.s 9 when i really need to??!!.......(please please please.....someone help me out here??!!......any help would be greatly appreciated.......ps.....does any one else think that an ibook with max ram...is suitable for graphic design etc.....it seems to be running fast enuff for what i need it for?.....thank you for your time and help people.................

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

OS 9 is their old system, the final product in a 20-year long OS built upon earlier versions. OS X is the new OS, the one that has been completely redesigned. Generally, use OS X for everything you possibly can, and learn that one. OS 9 can still be used for programs that haven't ported (written compatable apps) for OS X, but Quark is the only serious one at this point that hasn't converted...

For web browsing, you should probably use X. there's no real difference, but X is more powerful in browser-system interactions, and again, it's what future OS updates will be based on. There are no more updates for OS 9...

very sorry you had to learn two systems at once :) most switchers go right into X, unless they need 9-- yet another reason for Apple to stop making computers that boot into 9 (as they've recently done)

:)
    pnw

3. SoonToGetAMac macrumors 6502

I also have an iBook. Mine only has a 20GB hard drive, and I could free up around 800MB if i just deleted the OS9 system and apps folders. Is this safe to do? Any reasons why to not do this?

4. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

sure, get rid of it, then boot to the cd and reinstall it with everything but the very core system left behind. my os9 install is about 65MB and thats it.

5. SoonToGetAMac macrumors 6502

Wait...can I just drag the OS9 System and Apps folders to the trash and be done with it, or is there something else i also have to do?

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

dragging it to the trash is pretty much it.

if you don't use 9 for *anything* (which is totally possible-- i don't) there's no reason to keep it around. so much cleaner to just keep X stuff on it, it's pure :)

pnw

7. sowf thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx 4 your help!!.....appreciated..peace

thanx 4 your advice on using / learning o.s x.....and only using o.s 9when i have to,its been very helpful. peace

8. SoonToGetAMac macrumors 6502

Yeah, I have no intnetion of using OS9, and its always on the Software Resotre CDs. I have only bought software for X (Office, LimeWire, etc.) So I would have to say that I have no use for OS9. On a seperate note, I just love how to uninstall something, you just drag it to the trash. No .dlls:D