Help needed with PB battery problem

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Koodauw, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Hello. I have a 12'' PB Rev A. and have had it for about 8 months or so. All of a sudden, my battery (or something in the software) has been acting weird. I no longer get the warning that you computer is running onlow battery, or whatever it says. It just goes to sleep automatically. It usually happens when it gets around 10%, but really when it wants to go to sleep, it goes to sleep. No warning. I tried resetting the the Power Management Unit, and repaired permissions as well. I checked apple's website for any info, but couldn't find anything other than PMU info. Anyone else have any suggestions as to what might be causing this problem?

2. applejack macrumors newbie

Re: PB bettery problem

The exact same thing just started happening with me - same machine. Started right after I installed the latest security update - coincidence?

(Apple would never release a buggy update, would they?) :rolleyes:

3. Frisco macrumors 68020

My Ti PB goes to sleep around 30%--never get a warning. It's very annoying! It seems to be getting worse, because 6 months ago it went to sleep around 15%

I didn't install the latest security update yet.

Sorry my post didn't help out.

4. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I have the same problem as well. For some reason, I have only recently installed the battery update, and when I did that, that is when it started. Happens at 12% for me. It is really annoying.

5. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Call AppleCare since you are still under warranty. I bought a 17" Aluminum PowerBook in March and had this problem from the beginning (only it would happen at 23% I think). They replaced the battery and the problem is now gone. Though I did read on Apple's discussion site that a few people having similar issues had to have their logic board replaced.

6. Koodauw thread starter macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Thanks to everyone who responded. I did some more searching and found this.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@144.HH50aWIdjWy.0@.688ea390

Looks like others are having problems as well. No solution has been found though. Looks like for some a new battery worked, and for some it did not. Even a clean install didn't help.

I agree though, it did only start happening after that security update....interesting.

I will try and call Apple to see what they say. I don't have any "phon support" left so I don't know how far I will get. Might have to make the voyage to an Apple store sometime.