help needed

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jota73, Aug 8, 2006.

1. jota73 macrumors 6502

jota73

Guys!

Have a problem!
    My iMac crashed. I have a blank CD in it and when I turn on my mac I get a grey screen with a mapamundi in the middle. what shall I do!??? I can I eject the CD inside while having this shot?

Please, please some help is appreciated

regards
    Juan

2. yanasax macrumors member

yanasax

hmm, try restarting it, taking battery out, then back in, eject the CD see if any of the above work....
    Good Luck!

3. jota73 thread starter macrumors 6502

jota73

I have tried restarting but same thing... my imac is a desktop not laptop... any other suggestion?

4. yanasax macrumors member

yanasax

hmmm, I'm sorry, I can't think of anything
    And I'm not really used to the desktop setup
    again, sorry

5. jota73 thread starter macrumors 6502

jota73

6. projectle macrumors 6502

Have you tried holding Option at boot to bring up your Boot screen? you should be able to eject from there.

So, power off, hold Option on your keyboard, a boot screen should pop up.
    Wait until your disk stops spinning (usually 30 seconds), press eject.

Another thing that you can try is you can hold the SPACE bar when you power up and it will eject CDs (it depends on the model though).

The Boot menu works on every mac though.

7. jota73 thread starter macrumors 6502

jota73

I have booted the mac holding down the option key, but no menu appears, what am I doing wrong?

8. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Well, maybe the first thing to do os get the CD out of it. To do that, start the computer and press the mouse button (left one of you're using a two-button mouse) and keep it pressed until the CD is ejected. Then see what happens after that.

Basically, when the computer starts, it does a hardware check, and, assuming everything passes (usually does) then it looks for a valid system folder on your designated start-up device (usually your internal Macintosh-HD). If it fails to find a valid system folder, it will look elsewhere for one until it finally gives up and presents the dreaded flashing folder, which means no OS found.

A CD can be a valid start-up device, but it shouldn't hang on that for long, especially if you haven't in anyway set it as the start-up device. And even if you did, it will try to find a system on the disk and give up if it doesn't and move on to other drives in search of a system folder. But get the CD out, and then see what happens. Good luck.

9. jota73 thread starter macrumors 6502

jota73

thanks!
    It has been really useful!

I had to perform an archive and install of OS X! Hope it works

10. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Your computer was trying to netboot. You should have been able to:

1) Give it a few minutes until it resorted to the local disk.

2) Reset PRAM.

I'm not sure why you skipped about 20 steps to end up with an archive & install.

11. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

If you made it all the way to the end without any error notices popping up or you didn't interrupt it in any way then the archive and install should be okay. If it crashed during the archive and install, that could be a problem. How did you do the archive and install with a blank CD in the machine?

12. jota73 thread starter macrumors 6502

jota73

I did this after trying several other ways to fix it... apple applications started crashing, I called the Apple Support, they helped me doing some other stuff, deleting some file on preferences, with no result... then suddenly the mapamundi appeared... and still all apple applications kept crashing... I am really new into Mac... the call center rep, also suggested me doing the archive and install... so I then decided to do this....

I guess I will then install everything again.... Just don´t know what is good to do....

13. jota73 thread starter macrumors 6502

jota73

I managed to eject the blank CD prior to the archive and install

14. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

If you've done an archive and install, it should be okay. Archive and install is usually the last resort to cure a sick Mac. If you are able to successfully boot up to the desktop, keep in mind that:

1) Don't move any Apple apps from the applications folder. Basically, just leave everything exactly where it's been installed.

2) You may have to reinstall some apps. Some third-party apps do not survive an archive and install, even if you select preserve user settings. A little testing of your apps and you find out soon enough if any need to be reinstalled.

3) If you still have problems, set up a new user account in the Accounts preference pane in System Preferences, then switch to it. If your continue to have problems, then something is hosed somewhere in the system. If everything works with the new user account, then you have something screwed up somewhere in your home folder.

15. rafifreak00 macrumors regular

rafifreak00

iMac's have batteries?