HELP! Netgear wireless acess point / Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tony77, Nov 11, 2005.

1. tony77 macrumors newbie

I have a Netgear wireless router DG834G and a netgear WPN802 wireless access point and want to get my Airport express to extend the range of my network. I am using a powermac and a powerbook the 834G isn't WPN enabled but the WPN802 is. Has anyone done this if so what setting did you use in the 'Aiport Setup Assistant' and 'Airport Admin Utility'. (The 834G is wired to the WPN802 with ethernet cable)....

Thanks in advance.

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I've never done this, but methinks you ahve to have the Airport utility to have the login/pass of your access point, a long with the proper channel and encryption key (I pray to God you're using WPA-2/Personal). This would be logical, anyway.

3. lopresmb macrumors 6502

I am almost positive that an AP EXP can only extend the range of either an airport express or extreme existing network. I think its one of those apple branding things...but good luck anyhow.

4. tony77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Netgear / AE

Thanks you guys, I'll have a look at my settings again.
    I've spent many an hour onto the techies at both Netgear and Apple,- no real help from either as they say talk to the other. Apple finally said theirs didn't work with 3rd party hardware but looking on the net people have got the AE Working with Linskeys and others.. They say you have to configure manually but it works.
    I've tried various configurations but have not hit on the right one as yet.
    In Airport Admin Utility there are several options but `i really need to find someone who has been down this route...

Tony77

5. tony77 thread starter macrumors newbie

netgear /AE

Actually in Airport Admin Utillity one of the options is WDS (wireless distribution System) in that option you can enable the AE as a base main or relay station.. But if you go into the Airport option and select join an existing wireless network, the WPN option dissapears so I'm at a loss as to which settings to use, which order to do them in and what to put in manually.

Tony77