Help networking two wireless routers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lazyboy922, Oct 24, 2006.

1. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

hopefully I can explain this as best as possible, as I can't seem to figure it out.

I have in the living room, a linksys wireless router connected to my cable modem. The signal is too weak to reach into my bedroom. There I have hooked up a Netgear WGR614 wireless router, where I was hoping I would be able to have it reach the signal to the Linkys. My problem is, I can't get it to connect to the Linksys. I have tried doing it through the setup program that came with the router, but don't see "join an existing network" as an option, like an aiport express can.

I really don't know where to begin to take it a step further. I have tried a search, but really couldn't come up with the answers I needed.

Thanks in advance!

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Most consumer routers don't have this option. There are some Netgears that do, and some third-party firmware for Linksys that does, but most do not. Regardless, if the signal is too weak to make it to your bedroom, what makes you think a second router is going to pick it up?? It has to have signal strength just like a laptop would. It's no different. Even if you do wirelessly bridge the routers together (where router A is your main router and router B is your secondary router), router B cannot rebroadcast router A's signal. It can be either an access point or a client device, but not both.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, there's no set protocol for wireless extenders. Your best bet is to sell one of the routers and buy an extender from the same company as whatever router you're left with. :)