Help! Networking...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by AmigoMac, Jun 3, 2004.

1. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Hi!

I need to set up a network here at work at low cost, cheap small company :D, I've figured to get Internet through a router, right now, I have some PC's attached with an Ethernet Switch,

-can I plug the router to the switch to get an IP address for every computer? or do I need to plug every computer to the router?...I guess no, but want to be confirmed...

I just was told about getting a second network card for one of the PC's and share Internet through it, connecting the other network card to the DSL modem...

But, My other idea is Linux, i know how safe it is, 2 network cards within a Linux PC and share the internet through the second card? Can linux handle with that?, I hope so... and at the same time I can set up a firewall for my network in the Linux PC, can't I?

I've no idea what I write but I try to understand myself :D , Help!

Thx in advance!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This *should* work fine. I do the same thing at home. I have a router (with DHCP server built in, as most do) with a couple of hubs conencted to it and where ever you plug a machine in on the network it can get an IP.

3. AmigoMac thread starter macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Good! I could imagine it, but about that and firewall, is the router firewall good enough (I know, maybe no firewall is good enough) for a 5 people company? what about the option of the 2 network cards in a Linux PC and do everything there? will the security be better? or is the same thing?

Thx for answering...