help - new 12" pb keeps crashing

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rabatjoie, Dec 1, 2003.

1. rabatjoie macrumors member

hi there, i'm writing on behalf of a friend of mine who got a new 12" pb 1ghz last week - today when he started the thing he got an error message before booting saying something about "memory access". then, after strating up again, the problem had vanished, but panther started giving him the dimmed screen with the "your computer has to be restarted" message. this now happens totally by accident max 5 minutes after startup.

i told him to harrass apple for that, but in addition i thought that one of you guys might have a clue what causes this problem.

thanks!

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

could be a bad logic board. he should call apple tech support and see what they think. they will either swap it for a new one or at least pay to have it fixed. its also always a good idea to get extended apple care on powerbooks or ibooks since they can get banged around a lot more. extended apple care doesn't make much sense on a powermac though.

3. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

Does he have an airport card? If so make sure it is seated REALLY REALLY well in the slot, it can cause kernel panics (the dimmed screen with you must restart in a bunch of lanuages.)

4. powerbookje macrumors member

powerbookje

5. Mac Dummy macrumors regular

Re: help - new 12" pb keeps crashing

That is kind of odd that your friend's 12" Powerbook is doing the "I don't want to boot properly" routine. I bought my Powerbook on September 25th and have already installed an extra RAM chip from Crucial and a Airport Extreme Card and have seen no problems from either. I would think your has a problem on the motherboard or something. I would definately call Apple Tech Support.

6. rabatjoie thread starter macrumors member

this might be it... i think he inserted the airport card himself, because it shipped later than the computer itself...