HELP!!! New Apple user.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Danger! Will, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Danger! Will macrumors regular

Danger! Will

Jan 30, 2003
    Phoenix, Arizona USA
    So im using my trusty windoze pc and it crashes. So i go to restore it back to its orginal state pop in disk 1 and then discover i need disc 2 which i cant find. So my machine is OS less. I downloaded an .iso of mandrake but have no idea how to burn it as an image on my roomies iBook 800.

Please be really clear on the instructions as I am new to using the Apple computer.

Better yet send me an aol im (yes aol instant message) at

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    Do they have Panther (the latest version of Mac OS X - 10.3)? If they do, go to utilities folder (Mac HD > Applications > Utilities) and open up the Disk Utility program. This program allows you to burn disk images.

Now click on "New image" in the toolbar at the top (second icon along, to the right of burn) and a pop-down menu should appear. Choose the appropriate disc size and where you want to save the image (desktop is good) and then save. Now you should have this sorted. If you want to burn it to a CD you can then by clicking on the burn button.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and if it keeps crashing, you might want to think about picking up a Mac, your roomate has seen the brighter side ;)