HELP!!! new computer

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Cindy, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Cindy macrumors regular

My old computer that just died was a iMac 8.5. I just got a new eMac OS 10 and I can't figure out how to retrieve all my old saved stuff. I have it all on a zip disk. And it won't open any of it. Like my old outlook express for my email addresses and my old Explorer with all my favorites saved along with a ton of other folders.
    It tells me to open it in another application. But, nothing works.
    Can anyone help me??
    Cindy

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Re: HELP!!! new computer

On your emac you have an OS 9 applications folder. It has outlook and IE on it. I think you can copy your favorites and your email folders into there.

After that, I know that Mail.app allows you to import your files from outlook express for OS9. Not sure about the bookmarks, you might have to copy those into IE on OSX.

3. Mblazened macrumors regular

Email documents in os 9 and os x are not stored in the same place!

4. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

On your emac you have an OS 9 applications folder. It has outlook and IE on it. I think you can copy your favorites and your email folders into there.

I'm still lost.. I have been hooking up a new printer and the old scanner and I think my brain is just about done for!
    I have transferred my files that were saved on the Zip disk that I saved in Appleworks and no problems there.
    But, still cannot transfer over the email stuff.
    I have gone into both importing and exporting and tried following the instructions but, I guess I'm not doing something right because it doesn't do its job.
    I know I don't understand all the lingo its giving me --- I'm just trying everything.
    Any step by step help you can give me??
    Cindy

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

When I get home tonight I will try to post more info, I am new to owning a Mac, so I'm a little bit rusty on pre OSX stuff.

6. physicsnerd macrumors member

Okay, 1st off what is the model of the printer and scanner. What error messages are you getting?

As for the mail here's what you do. Try this method first. I don't remember if it works with old outlook express files or not, if not use the second method below.
    1) Open Mail (Macintosh HD:Applications:Mail)
    2) Go to the file menu
    3) Click On "Import Mailboxes"
    4) Click On "Standard mbox files"
    It will then ask you for the location of the folder that contains the email files
    5) Slected the files from the zip disk
    This is as far as I can get, because I don't have any outlook files to test it.

If this doesn't work you'll have to import them into outlook, then import them into mail.

1) Open up Outlook express 5.02. It's under Applications (mac OS9) Classic mode will start
    2) got to "File:import"
    3) I'm not sure if you have to import from application or from text file (Don't have any emails to test on) One should work
    4), open up "mail" go to "file menu:import mailboxes"
    5) It will ask you to "Choose what type of mailboxes to import" Click on "Outlook Express" For some reason mail didn't find outlook express automatically for me, so I had to go to "Browse" then "Applications (mac OS9)\Outlook express 5.02 folder\"
    6)Then click on Outlook express and click the ">>" botton.
    That should do it, let me know if you have any problems

Physicsnerd

7. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

physicsnerd:

Ok... I took the second route. This is what happened...
    1) Import fom Application (wouldn't do text file)
    2) ready to import
    3) Select "OE User Folder" = OE 5.02 folder -- my selections are New, open, cancel or choose. If I hit choose it takes me to:
    4) Select user profile (select an Internet Mail and News user profile to import from) Any of the things that are listed that I choose, (Extras, help, Identities, Import Mappings, OE Temp, script menu items, sound sets) it just all take me to:
    5) Import = Import cancelled. Nothing.

I can't believe this --- this is so frustrating!!
    :mad:

I took a break and went for a ride on my horse - now I'm back at this thing again.
    Cindy

8. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

That is odd, I got the same kinda of thing where it didn't seem to like things, but I thought it was my Windows outlook files that were messed up. Not sure what else we can do. Maybe entourage?

9. physicsnerd macrumors member

hmm, let me try a couple of things and get back to you.

Physicsnerd

10. physicsnerd macrumors member

Okay, I think I figured out a way to do this, but it's going to take you a while.

1) Start Outlook Express 5
    2) Go to where ever you have the old emails stored.
    3) Double click on an email message. (It should open up in Outlook Express)
    4) On the right hand side of the message there is a "move" tab. Click on that button and select inbox.
    5) do this for every email you have.
    6) Once all of the emails are in your inbox under outlook express open up mail.
    7) Go to file:import mailboxes click on "Outlook Express" then ">>"
    8) go until you get to the "Import mail boxes" prompt, and only select "inbox" then click on ">>"

That should do it, I tested this method on an outlook express file and it worked for me. Though I did only try it on one so no promises... Let me know what happens. Also, you can private message me, and I'll send you my email. I check my email more often then I check these boards.

Physicsnerd

11. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

12. outlook macrumors newbie

re

The dbx viewer and outlook express repairs has prompted you a path of the Outlook Express files' storage. And now save the damaged dbx files in the safe folder, they can be useful.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Better late than never. Don't you agree outlook? :)