Help -- New iPod Headphone/Earbuds

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Afro1989, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Afro1989 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, I finally have enough money to spend on a decent pair of headphones for my iPod Shuffle and I'm really interested in the Etymotic ER-6i Isolators (white). I want earbuds that totally block out all other sound so I do not want any large, normal looking headphones that go over your head.

I read the old review of these on this site and the only problem I'm thinking of is that you must keep replacing the filters. Also, I'm not sure if they would be comfortable.

What type of headphones/earbuds should I get because the stock Apple ones are horrible.

Thanks so much for your help.

2. chopsuey158 macrumors member

You said you don't want large/normal headphones, but you should really consider the Bose sound isolating headphones. They are pricey, $150 or $300 depending on which model you get but they are extremely nice. Comfortable, great sound, and very sound isolating.

3. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

The ER.6i earbuds are so totally great that I am convinced that Steve is also CEO of etymonic research (in addition to apple, pixar, disney, sony, segway, motorola, direcTV, the world...)
    If you have wads of cash to spend on something that is smaller than your pinky and weighs less than $.50 then the ER.6i earbuds are the way to go.
    -Kingsly
    www.mariposaprod.com

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

those are AWESOME headphones.

But, if you're a cheapass like me, and you tend to lose things, or break them, I'd go for the cheap and ubiquitous $30 sony fontopia headphones, they're pretty good - a hell of a lot better than either one of the apple ones. They're not killer, but i'm satisfied with them. and really, headphones that cost more than your MP3 player...something's wrong with you :p :D :p ;)

5. geekologist macrumors member

geekologist

The Apple earbuds are terrible. I am going to purchase the ER-6is too soon. I did a lot of research and people really like them. They alos match the iPod. I like them because they don't go over your ear first like the Shures do. They are also a lot cheaper. You can get them for $90 on buy.com.

6. Oblivious macrumors 6502

I'd suggest going with the Sony MDR-EX71 earbuds. They get fantastic sound quality, bass and all, and they do a pretty good job of blocking out other sounds. Really, the only complaint I have is that they cord is too long with the extension if you just want to put your iPod in your pocket, but far too short if you take off the extension.:p

Oh, and they're in the $50 price range...

7. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

I really like the Shures, I have owned both the E2s and the E4s, and they are both amazing in there respective price range. I would pass on anything Bose.

IEMs are the way to go! I think you will be happy with the Shures or the Etys They take a little getting used to, and you may not even like them right out of the box. Once you get used to the feeling, they are quite comfortable, besides the sound is simply amazing.