HELP! New MacBook Air Damaged out of the box

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by skuid87, Jun 24, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

:(

After waiting anxiously for my new 2012 MacBook Air and tracking the shipment everyday, it finally arrived. I was so excited, took it right to my room and proceeded to carefully unbox my lovely new machine.

I take it out of the box, gently take off the plastic, and lift the screen with one finger. I then switched it on, as my finger lifted after pressing the power button, i saw it. A tiny dent, in my brand new, freshly built from the factory MacBook, that I've just paid over £1000 for! I'm SO disappointed.

Now, it really is tiny, but the fact is that I've paid for a Premium product. It should be perfect. Most people probably wouldn't care but it really does bother me. I've been looking forward to getting a MBA for a long time and I don't think I should have to make do with ANY faults, not matter how small.

I'm going to take it to the Apple Store tomorrow, but I'm worried about what they'll say. What if they blame me for it? How do I prove that it was like this out the box? Anyone else here had a similar problem? How did Apple deal with you?

Here's a picture, you can see the dent just above the thunderbolt port:
    [​IMG]

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Call Apple and send it back. They'll take care of it.

3. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Take it back, no reason you should accept such a defect when it wasn't your fault. I know it bites, but that is really your only option

4. macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Just take it back and tell them your story. My best guess is they will just return it and give you a new one (assuming its in stock)

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Well, that's one of the things I'm worried about. If they do agree to replace it, I'll have to wait another couple weeks as this is not a stock model. It has the upgraded RAM which means that another order will have to placed by them and I'll have to wait a while before a new one comes.

Unless they let me keep this one and exchange with the new one when it arrives..?

6. macrumors 6502a

you could order another one, and then return the dented one to get a full refund. You have 14 days to do this.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm... that's true. Can't believe I didn't think of that.

But would they charge me the shipping costs for the refund? How does this work? Would they arrange/pay for a courier to pick it up?

8. macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Would be best to take it to an apple store. Just ask them what the best route to take would be. They know what they're doing, it's what they're good at.

9. macrumors 6502

i did this when i had problems with my iMac. they'll charge you full price for a second one but when you return the defective one you get your money back so there's no loss at all. They pay for the shipping, they'll send you labels to attach to the box then you can just drop it off at any drop off location.

10. macrumors regular

Honestly, I will just keep it.

These are manufactured, not individually made by hand.

Your next Macbook Air will have another small 'flaw'. If it's not a dent, it'll be a mark, key scratched etc

11. thread starter macrumors regular

I have considered that. And I know it's tiny. But it really does bother me. Might seem petty but the way I see it, £1000 is ALOT of money for me. I don't think it's unreasonable for me to expect a perfect product.

12. macrumors regular

I understand.

When you get it replaced, note that you are more then likely to get a new one that has another small flaw. Might be a lot less evident though

13. macrumors regular

You should see what SSD and screen it has. If it has both Samsung, definitely best to keep it.

14. thread starter macrumors regular

Why's that then? :confused:

15. macrumors member

The Samsung SSD is slightly faster than the Toshiba SSD and the Samsung screen is generally preferred over the LG screen. If you got a Samsung SSD and Samsung screen, you're lucky. If you exchange it you might get a worse screen and/or SSD.

16. thread starter macrumors regular

Is this conclusive or just speculative?

Also, how do I check?

17. JBST, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012

macrumors newbie

very tough choice... I completely agree that by paying the premium you are completely entitled to expect a perfect product without marks or stretch etc. but on the other hand there is the time factor and hassle. Made me wonder what would I do if I were in your situation.

I probably would sit on it for a few days and to does that still bothers me. If yes, I will return it.

I think he meant you should kept it IF the screen and SSD are both samsung. As some people believe that the samsung screen and SSD are superior (or more comfortable) than the LG screen and Toshiba ssd. In case you swapped your Samsung+Samsung to LG+Toshiba.

In terms of the SSD, samsung has a better write speed compared to toshiba, that is a fact. In terms of the screen, rather than speculative, it is rather more SUBJECTIVE. It seems that some people are ok with the LG screen and some just cannot bear it.

18. macrumors 6502a

I would buy the laptop from the store next time, not online. I've had bad experiences online - they 2 out of 3 times they've shipped me a lemon and when I worked at the Apple Store, I saw a lot of BTOs come back - which we couldn't return at the time. Talk about pissing your customers off. Plus, when you buy in the store you can immediately open it and inspect it.

19. macrumors member

The SSD is conclusive - benchmarks show higher speeds with the Samsung. As for the screen, most (read: almost everyone) would prefer the Samsung panel to the LG panel. The Samsung has better color reproduction and brightness, but the LG has arguably better contrast (once a good calibration profile is loaded).

To check the SSD you can do the following: Open the disk utility application (in applications > utilities > disk utility). Your drive should be labeled as a 128GB [Insert Model # Here]. If the model # begins with SM, your drive is a Samsung. If it doesn't begin with SM, it's a Toshiba.

As for the screen, open the terminal (applications > utilities > terminal). Copy and paste the following, then hit return(enter):

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

If the model it spits back out at you begins with "LP," you have a LG screen. If it doesn't begin with LP, you have the Samsung.

20. thread starter macrumors regular

I would have preferred to buy in store but they just don't stock the one I wanted. I wen't for 13" Base spec with upgraded RAM. I checked at a few stores and they all said I had to order online.

Do you know if I can refund an online order at an Apple Store? Or will it have to couriered back to the Online store?

21. macrumors 68030

Any store can work with online stuff......every I phone, pad and mba for 5 years ordered online, not a single problem yet...

22. macrumors member

You can return an online order in the store.

23. macrumors 68000

If you did order another first and wait longer, your story may be less convincing. Personally I would keep it though.

24. macrumors newbie

I ordered a refurb Macbook Air last week and it came with a light scratch. I called in and not only did they send a replacement but they gave me the $105 Knomo bag for free as well. Just call, they are very helpful. Don't got to the store, even the guy on the phone told me it would be a waste of time. He called and they told him that they couldn't help me.

25. macrumors 68040

It is not a flaw. It is not an imperfection. It is damaged. I plan to resell mine next year, and something like that would knock 5% or more off the value. Unacceptable. Mine would go back immediately.