Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2002
Orange County
Just got my new powerbook over the weekend, and have found one major problem. When the lid is closed the unit sits flat no problem.

But when you open it, it's not level, the lower right hand corner doesn't touch the surface of whatever it's on. So everytime I go to type and rest my hand there, it totters back and forth from lower right hand corner to upper right hand corner.

I checked the little rubber feet and they are all the same size, and I can't notice with my eye any difference on the underside.

Anyone else have this problem, or know of a fix?!?

Thanks

Cheers

alxths

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2003
This is probably silly, but have you tried resting it on other surfaces? My 12" wobbles very slightly on different parts of my desk...

mdman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2002
Orange County
Originally posted by alxths
This is probably silly, but have you tried resting it on other surfaces? My 12" wobbles very slightly on different parts of my desk...

Yes I did. I tried it on a glass top surface to see what the problem was. When the unit is closed the pad on the side with ports is not touching the ground by like an 1/8 of an inch. When you open the unit, it then touches the ground but the opposite lower corner then is off by a bit more than an 1/8 of an inch. So everythime I go to type, it clunks back and forth.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by mdman
Yes I did. I tried it on a glass top surface to see what the problem was. When the unit is closed the pad on the side with ports is not touching the ground by like an 1/8 of an inch. When you open the unit, it then touches the ground but the opposite lower corner then is off by a bit more than an 1/8 of an inch. So everythime I go to type, it clunks back and forth.
Obviously, your Powerbook is "warped". Just make sure that the table that you used is completely flat (should be since it's a glass table).

You should probably take it back to where you bought it and ask for them to fix it.

I notice that the 15"PB at the Apple Store in KOP, PA is wobbly as well. I'm sure that I wouldn't be able to ignore such a problem and that I'd have to return it.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Unfortunately this is a common problem with the 12" and is considered "within spec" by Apple. There are a number of other issues with the 12" that are annoying but also considered not serious enough to fix or address by Apple. Mine wobbles, has lost all four feet, and there is a noticable gap between in the display surrounding the Bluetooth antenna on one side, all are considered "within spec" by Apple. It stinks, but nothing you can really do about it.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
I use my powerbook fifteen inch on a smooth glass surface, and it wobbles...but then when i put it on granite...its totally solid. If apple says they won't do anything, come back here for a solution. You may be able to find feet with more give or foaminess. That would absorb the space difference.

Also, get a rubber place mat...that might help. But try and get a new computer first.

snofseth

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
I had that problem on my 12" and called apple and they sent me a box and I sent it in and know it doesn't woble, but they gave me a new problem the part of the batter closer to the screen has some play I can pust it up and down, but I don't notice it while typing like with a wobble so its not as big of a deal and I don't want to send it back, although service was fast very fast I cant live without it, because I use it at school.

mdman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2002
Orange County
I bought mine through the apple education website. I called and spoke with an apple education rep, and they had a Fed-Ex delivery driver out to my house the next day to pick it up.

From what I was told this is a known issue. They will be shipping me a new unit within 5-7 business days. Although when I checked the order online, the shipping date was the 22nd. :rolleyes: I'm hoping it gets here sooner than that, as I need it for school.

All an all though I was very impressed with the way Apple handled the situtation. Of course wouldn't you know it, Airborne finally delivers my iPod the same day my pb get's picked up! D'oh.

I would recommend if anyone get's a new pb and they have the same problem, to call and get it replaced. It was to noticeable a problem, and made typing a real pain.

As a side note, even after using OS X for less than a week, it's so hard to go back to using a PC.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
as someone posted, it's "within spec." and you really carry a much greater chance of introducing more problems by trying to get it "fixed." mine used to wobble a bit, now it doesn't. (first gen 12" PB) so i'd say don't worry too much (i know it could be annoying) and just keep on using... even if you send it back to apple and they "fix" it (or give you another one), there's not guarantee it will be better. you might as well hold on to yours and keep on using it...

(you can try applying gentle pressure to the whole unit... GENTLE.)

about the feet: the glue apple uses degrade over time, it's rock solid when you first get it, but over time, feet become susceptible to coming off. i suggest every 12" owner to try to actually pry those feet off on purpose and glue them back on with a super glue. mine is rock solid now, even though i glued them months ago... this way, you stand much less chance of losing them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.