Help New to Folding

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Macmaniac, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Ok I downloaded folding to help our team, but I cannot download WUs. The program said Cannot connect to Work Server.
    What can I do, I have Cable Internet, and I'm running 10.2.8

2. Macmaniac thread starter macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Sorry Ingore the last post, its working now, but one question, is there anyway I can tell it to start after a certain amount of time?

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

The server was probably too busy so you couldn't receive a WU. It takes a couple of minutes before you are being "served".

What for client are you running? If you are running the script from MC68K then it is always running (except if you pause/stop it with a terminal command). If you are running the screensaver, just set your powersaving mode to 1 minute, and it starts folding within a minute when your mac is idle.

Welcome aboard and goodluck folding!

4. Macmaniac thread starter macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I'm running the visual program version.
    I'm not very familiar with the terminal so I did not download it. Also how long does a WU take a for a 700mhz G3, like 10, 12, or 13 hours?
    I'm running Protein p574_L939_k12M

5. jbeetz macrumors member

probably more like a few days.... my little 350MHz B&W is pretty poky and runs about 100ish hours per WU. Be patient, wait an hour or so, and check your progress (% complete), then estimate the complete date from there.

6. Macmaniac thread starter macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I've got about 1% in about 45 minutes so it looks like its gonna take a few days per unit, man you really need a lot of power to crunch units fast. I wish I had a G5:(

7. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I have a question, I'm running the Terminal version, how do I get to the program and see how much is compete?

P-Worm

8. jbeetz macrumors member

Worm... if you used mc68k's scripts, you should be able to type "work" in terminal and magically, it'll let you know all you need about the unit you're working on!

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yes there are also a few programs to check the stats and when WU (work units) are estimated to be done.

Ah... Bous where is that link to your stat java thingy...

:p

10. aus_dave macrumors regular

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

http://users.fastermac.net/bousozoku/fp

12. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

You can also check the text file of the WU in your F@H1 folder in your user map

13. jbeetz macrumors member

That's a tricky one, it's possible but certainly not trivial. Nor will it be easy unless you're pretty familiar with scripting. It's relatively easy to have it start folding at a particular time of day, but waiting a set amount of time after getting a work unit before starting is different.

It sounds a little like you need to wait to start folding until the machine is unused? There are easier ways!

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Using a script with the wait command will delay anything after it. You can also use at to start at a certain date and time.

15. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

at is a very useful command. i don't think it uses as many resources as crontab either.

16. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan