HELP - no web browser now

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dolphin1, Nov 28, 2006.

1. dolphin1 macrumors member

ok, so last night I download Camino on my ibook and trash Safari. Somewhere I also trashed part of Camino because now it's no where to be found and a window pops up and says alias can't be found. So, now I don't know what to do. I'm on my eMac right now so I can get some help. I called the Mac place to get some help and they didn't want to help me. They just said to insert one of the start up disks and just download Safari in the bundle package. I did and I don't see Safari anywhere as being separate.
    Suggestions on how to get a web browser back. Safari is fine. Do I have to re-install the whole OSX??

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

If you don't want to go the install disk way I would suggest downloading it on a thumb drive and go from there.

If you have a network going on then that should be simple...

Bless

3. baummer macrumors 6502a

Is it still in your trashcan? If so, drag it out and into applications.

Otherwise:

Insert your OS X DVD and search for Safari. You should find a Safari.pkg file on the DVD that will allow you to install Safari. Find it, then double-click the pkg file.

If that doesn't work, download Pacifist: http://www.charlessoft.com/Pacifist.dmg

Open Pacifist -> Open Package -> Navigate to Install DVD -> System/Installation/Packages/EssentialSystemSoftware.mpkg -> Click Open -> click the twisty next to Essentials -> click the twisty next to Applications -> Select Safari.app -> Click Install (at the top of the Pacifist window).

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's hard to download Pacifist without a browser. ;)

I second the thumb drive suggestion.

5. baummer macrumors 6502a

Umm...yes, but I assume he has some kind of alternative system where he is accessing the internet in order to post this. So he can download it, copy it via network, or burn it to a CD.

6. dolphin1 thread starter macrumors member

I wish it was still in the trash can - it's not. I had to force empty because it wouldn't empty but I didn't know that some of Camino went with it.
    I have only two CD's that came with the ibook. Disk one and two.
    On the disk one there's an install bundled software only and install mac OS X and bundled software. I opened up both and it looks like it will just start installing before I have a chance to see what is in there. which one should I go for??
    I have no idea what you guys are talking about as far as thumb drive....
    If I have a network going on?? Between the eMac and ibook? UGH...:confused: the emac is quite old so I can't do any burning on it.

7. dolphin1 thread starter macrumors member

oh, I think I found it! It was VERY well hidden. Here goes, I'm going to try and install it.

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Do you have an external drive, ipod shuffle, SD card with a reader...

If you do you can download safari or whatever browser you want and put it on the external and bring it over to the other computer.

Edit: ok you found it so nevermind this:)

Bless

9. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Just for future reference... It's probably a good idea not to trash Apple default applications (other than iLife).

10. dolphin1 thread starter macrumors member

ok, the download worked but here's the next issue.... Still having a separate problem with my connection. Ever since I switched to Earthlink and downloaded their crappy program (total access) I've had problems with my ibook keeping and getting a good connection, slow loading etc... When I'm at work, the ibook works great with the wireless connection.
    Earthlink keeps blaming me for doing something wrong with their program. Yeah, whatever:rolleyes:
    The guy keeps telling me that something has been coureped (spelling??) and that I did it. I keep telling him yeah, it probably has been messed up but by the stupid total access program. I deleted that thing right off a while back.
    I think I need a new ISP. I have to have dial up here at home since we can't get DSL here yet.
    Why is it that I get a good speed on my old emac desktop and a much lower speed on the new ibook (using same exact phone jack). I'm thinking I want to just re-install OS X now. I don't know whether to erase and install or to do an archive and install. What do you guys say?
    I'm asumming that if I do a archive and install, it might keep the same issues?
    If I do an erase and install, will that take away all my settings from my ISP server and mail settings too?
    Thanks for the help.

11. dolphin1 thread starter macrumors member

Yup, I learned my lesson!

12. jonharris200 macrumors 6502

jonharris200

If you're doing to do a re-install, try archive and reinstall first. You can always erase and reinstall later if you are really desperate, but why not first give yourself the chance to save your data and applications? Erase does what it says - you'll lose everything.

Remember to back everything up that you would never want to lose before you do any kind of re-install though. Back up and stay safe!

13. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Thats what the curl command is for ;)

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

True, but if you're going to do that, you might as well download the browser he wants (Camino) and transfer it the same way. :)

Good point. I'm just sometimes hesitant to send people into Terminal when there are other apparently simple solutions with less potential for nuking your system. (Not that you can do that with curl, but the power of Terminal is not to be taken lightly. With great power comes great responsibility. :D )

15. dolphin1 thread starter macrumors member

I had to go into terminal and become "root" to empty some files from earthlink since it embeded itself so deeply (on my eMac) and all went fine and eMac wasn't effected at all :)
    I ended up taking the ibook to an apple dealer/repair shop today. I'm hoping it's a faulty phone jack port. That way maybe applecare will pick up the tab but I have a strange feeling that it's going to be a software problem caused by earthlink's total access. I'll find out tomorrow or the next day.
    If it's earthlink's software - I'm going to be real pissed off to say the least because of course they won't take any blame at all.
    Will be a big lesson learned on my part!

16. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

What does Earthlink's software do, exactly? I can't imagine it's needed at all if you just have standard dialup service. It's also surprising it would install things very deep into the system, but then again there is some pretty crappy software out there.

17. dolphin1 thread starter macrumors member

The software didn't do much. I downloaded it because it had an accelerator on it - which did nothing. Actually it made it much slower. After talking to many people who have also used it, the software made their computers go down to a crawl. It was taking 20 min. to download a page!
    And then to remove it, OMG - a true nightmare. On one of my computers it embedded itself as root. And the only way to get rid of it was to go into terminal.