Help on deciding

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MasterG247, Sep 28, 2006.

1. MasterG247 macrumors newbie

Sep 28, 2006
    Like many of you people, I have been waiting for the new MBPs but I must buy one now for work. I am having trouble deciding between the 2 15" MBP. I want to game using bootcamp, but is the extra 500 bucks worth the 128mb vram, 512 ram, and .16ghz upgrade? does the extra 128mb of vram make that much of a difference? Any help is appreciated, thanks!
  2. Josias macrumors 68000

Mar 10, 2006
    With thr $500 you get also 1 GB RAM instead of 512 MB. Yes, the double amount of video memory will definiantly be noticeable, especially in very demanding games.

It'll be cheaper to upgrade to 2 GB RAM, and the hi-end 15" also comes with a 100 GB HDD instead of 80 GB, which gives you more room for bootcamp and games.

I'd go for the hi-end if I were you, depending on what you'll do.:)
  3. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    the extra VRAM will be noticable. looks like if you want that extra 128MB you need to pay the premium. but you also get more RAM built-in and a faster processor.

if you need it for work, why not get your company to pay for some or all of it? (unless you work for yourself...)
  4. MasterG247 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 28, 2006
    Its more for my personal use with work. If work buys it for me, at the end, it will still belong to them and they acan take it when they want, I'd rather own. I'm buying it with the bonus I'm getting. It just seems to me that an extra 128 video ram, 512 ram, 20 gigs, and .16 speed increase for 500 is a little too much. Also, what is your take on glossy and matte screens. Thanks for all the responses.
  5. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2006
    I know what you mean, but I still think it's worth it. Go for it, you won't regret it. :)
  6. 1dterbeest macrumors regular

Feb 14, 2006
    Waupun, WI
    matte for sure. Also, it will be well worth it to get the upgrade.
    If you are gaming, you will want the video card upgrade. If you
    get 1Gb of Ram, you can upgrade to 2GB for like $140, where
    as if it came with 512mb, it would cost like $260 and you'd have
    an extra chip laying around. All around, if you need a high end
    machine for gaming and stuff, get the upgrade.