Help on essay topic

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by phas3, Feb 13, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

So I have this essay that is due in a few days, I was given an essay question but I feel like it doesn't make sense for some reason. Here is the question:

Compare and contrast exploration and colonization during the 15th - 18th century. What was the motivation for these endeavors? What were the costs and benefits of each, and what impact did these endeavors have on various groups? Explain.

I just feel like it is so broad and exploration and colonization are completely different from each other.

Can anyone help me out here, maybe with a thesis or some topic sentences?

2. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

Why don't we just write the whole thing for ya?

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

No, I just want to know if the topic sounds right to you guys? And if so then explain.

4. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

Somehow I don't think you'll do well even after we explain it to you.

5. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

I don't think it's wanting you to compare and contrast both together, but more like your essay should be half about exploration and half about colonization, and you should be analyzing 15th - 18th century between the two topics. Like you said, they're both two completely different things.

6. macrumors G5

jav6454

You just restated te question. Your topic is so broad and generalized. There are so many aspects about colonization and exploration. You have the demographics, economic, natural, laboral, and social aspects of it. Not to mention the knowledge that came from the needs of that area.

7. macrumors 65816

stonyc

It would probably help to know what class this is for... is this for political science? Economics? General history? That could help the OP frame his response within the appropriate context.

8. thread starter macrumors 65816

This is for History of the Americas

9. macrumors 65816

stonyc

Well, not knowing the general perspective of your class/professor, ask yourself some of these questions...

What was the primary motivation of the European powers to colonize the Americas?

What was the primary motivation of the American exploration to the West?

Were the motivations of the European colonization of the Americas and those of the American exploration of the West the same? Different?

What conflicts arose out of them? Why (again going back to the primary reasons for colonization versus exploration)?

10. thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay that puts it more into perspective; thank you. I really appreciate your help.

11. macrumors 65816

Mousse

Easy as pi. Pick two nations, one from each time period. Compare how the got their (_!_) to the new country and what they found. As yerself, was it worth it?

I'll give it a shot.

Nation A got there "First!" Or so they thought. Who knew the place was already populated by half nekkid people? None too friendly half-nekkid people at that. The new comers got their (_!_) kicked three ways to Sunday and their hearts offered up to Quetzalcoatl. Way to fail, Nation A. Nation B, having read their history books, sent guys with guns and diseases. When they ran out of ammo, they sneezed on the natives and wiped them out, took their land. Epic win for Nation B.

12. macrumors regular

how did it turn out?