Help on how to extract pictures from PDF's

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jrvl912, Jan 31, 2005.

1. jrvl912 macrumors newbie

Aug 13, 2004
    I need help on how to extract pictures from PDF's. Since I used the image capture thing on mac aand saves it as PDF i want the actualt pics in a pic format ie. jpg. etc.... but i want to extract the picture from the PDF by some way... or another... PLEASE HELP! Hope To Hear From somebody on my issue soon! :)
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    There's probably an easier way, but I just copy the image and paste it into a new Photoshop image.
  3. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    You could try Graphic Converter to see if it will convert it to a JPEG.

If that doesn't do the trick, here are two screen capture utilities which should be able to meet your needs.
  4. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    From the Mac Help for Grab:

"Grab saves screen shots as files in TIFF format. If you want to use your screen shots on the web, in email, or in a word processor, you can use the Preview application to convert the TIFF files to other formats, such as JPEG or PICT.

1. Open Preview (located in Applications) and choose File > Open.
    2. Locate the file you want to convert and click Open.
    3. Choose File > Export.
    4. Choose a file format from the Format pop-up menu and click Save."

So, Grab saves as TIFF not PDF. But you can use Preview to convert to JPEG. Hope that helps.
  5. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2003
    you wish
    If you deal with PDFs that has a lot of pictures you want to extract, try Adobe Acrobat. It allows you to extract all the images from a multi-page PDF in one go. When Acrobat saves the files, it names them with reference to which page they were extracted. Very handy if you later need to find, say, the caption of an extracted image.
  6. aus_dave macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2004
    Apart from using Grab as mentioned to save as a TIFF file, you can also open PDF files in Photoshop as images.
  7. jrvl912 thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 13, 2004
    WOW.... Thank you very much people for your help!

Thank you very much for you help people! i appreciate it! :D