help on powerbook purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by phantommaul, Jul 16, 2004.

1. phantommaul macrumors member

i have a short question, i live in Turkey and here apple's are really expensive because of the reseller company. so they made a promotion and they are selling a refurb 15 powerbook 1Ghz for 2000 € (tax included - and for reference a high end 17" pb is 3300€ ) so as u see the 15" powerbook fw800 looks like a nice bargain, but i have only one question, i know if apple announces the pb g5 it will come to Turkey after three months and by the prices i gave u, it is evident that they will be really expensive. so i want to use the g4 for min 3 years do u thing it is a good purchase or do u suggest me to save my dought for a future pb g5 purchase.

p.s: i am mad about havin' an apple ;) - but dont be drifted with my wish.

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

If you wait for the G5, MY GUESS is that you will have to wait until at least this time next year, possibly longer. I say, change your "3 years" to "2 years", get the powerbook now, then in 2 years or a bit more, upgrade to the G5. Otherwise, you'll be waiting for a while.

Lee Tom

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Tom is right. I also doubt that I would want a rev. A PB G5. I would wait till the rev. B G5's. This way let someone else be the beta tester. :)

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yeah, that 1GHz 15" refurb will be fine for most things for at least a couple of years (maybe three or more). It's certainly going to be much more useful for the next, say, 15 months than a virtual phantom G5 will be. You can, of course, sell the 15" in the future to help pay for the G5, after you can actually buy one, and after there's some compelling reason to switch to it from the G4. I still use a G3 Lombard that's 5 years old when I travel, and it does most of what I need. I want a new PB, but I can't afford one, nor can I really say that I need one.

There's often a huge difference between what you need and what you'd like, and of course you'd always like the latest and greatest, but Macs hold their usefulness for quite a long time. The Dell laptop I got at the same time (1999) via work is now completely useless. The PB works fine.