Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
NY
Last instalment

One thing though, the HDD is making a loudish kind of noise when I wake it up. Is this normal?

Attachments

• CIMG0964.JPG
    CIMG0964.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 103
  • CIMG0974.JPG
    CIMG0974.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 114
  • CIMG0994.JPG
    CIMG0994.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 119

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
brepublican said:
Oh man, I have so many pics, its not even funny

My 15" makes strange little sound upon waking as well (something like: "kadishkah" :p ), but lasts only for a second.

So you've got all that wonderful mac goodness plugged into a surge protector right? Those first pics looked like the mac was plugged directly into the wall and I was like: :eek:

shane-o-mac

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
Ahhh....

Ahhh...if only I could go back in time bud, loved opening my first mac which happen to be a 15"powerbook, but honestly love using it more. I say savor it and your apple products well. I think part of the buying experience is how cool apple packaging is.

But lets face it they are depreciating assets, so use em! Once you fall in love with them and they are well worn in, they they become part of the family....I frigin love all my apple stuff!

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
NY
discoforce said:
My 15" makes strange little sound upon waking as well (something like: "kadishkah" :p ), but lasts only for a second.

So you've got all that wonderful mac goodness plugged into a surge protector right? Those first pics looked like the mac was plugged directly into the wall and I was like: :eek:
WOW! I am almost killing myself right now... Totally did not think about it! It was plugged into the wall the whole time I was charging it! Gosh :eek: !

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Yeah you gotta take extra care with all this micro electronics stuff.

Laptop insurance might not be a bad idea and AppleCare doesn't
cover accidental damage.

My neighbor never leaves his PowerBook pugged in to the phone line when it's not attended, but last month during normal weather, his modem got zapped by a/c current in the phone lines.

He sent it out for repair and the ticket cost him $300.00.

My FX rack took a bad power surge hit last summer taking out $1600 worth of processors and mixers.

Don't let that sweet new PowerBook have unprotected sex with your wall outlets. :D

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Congrats! You'll love you're new PB.

I remember fondly, that warm autumn day i got home and my PB was waiting in my room. I took soooo long to open it, going through every layer of packaging and savouring the moment. Once I had my PB out, I just started at it for about 30 mins, from every possible angle. Once I had turned it on, I don't think I went to sleep until 4am :eek:

anyway, now that my inner geek has been supressed, just have fun with it!!!

PS. I can't recommend highly enough getting some extra RAM into it - really makes it fly!

;)

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
You can open them? Man, and all this time I thought I spent $1300 on a fancy box!

Lol, I can't wait until my new notebook comes. Opening up an Apple product is always a wonderful thing. I even asked my best friend to wait to open up her iPod until I came over, I really am a geek.

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
SummerBreeze said:
Lol, I can't wait until my new notebook comes. Opening up an Apple product is always a wonderful thing.
I can't wait to order my first Apple computer and then open it :D

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
Euan said:
I can't wait to order my first Apple computer and then open it :D

It's pretty wonderful experience (especially if you spend months on Macrumors agonizing over what will be IN the box :p ).

I bought a refurb 15" PB and thought I would be denied the new-mac-smell and designed-by-Apple packaging. Yet everything was packed in mint condition: from the exquistely designed box down to the sealed baggies of wire-wrapped telephone and ethernet cords. As I fondly remember this moment I realize I was struck, even then, by how oddly important all this seemed :p

Sadly, I knew that by opening the packaging I doomed my future self to judgemental headshaking and plumeting appraisal values by the experts on "Antiques Roadshow." ;)

Congratulations to all who have recently opened their new macs. Savor the moment, but do get on to the using-the-computer bit: It's even better! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.