help opening a .exe file

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 808, Aug 1, 2005.

1. 808 macrumors member

i have a .exe file that i want to open, but for some reason when i click on it, it opens with toast and then it says toast is not able to open it.
    then i highligted the file and "got info" it says that it defaults to toast, but when i search to see what other applications i can open it with, i dont know which one to pick.

any ideas how to run this file?

thanks!

2. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Solution to problem

Go buy a cheap PC - exe are windows executable files

:)

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Short answer: Get a PC.

Bit longer answer: That's (probably) a Windows application and cannot be executed (you get it?) on a Mac without running some sort of Windows emulator, like Virtual PC.

Edit: Bugger, beaten again... ;)

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If it's a self-extracting archive, there are some apps that'll open it -- can't remember at the moment.

If it's a PC/Windows application, shake a leg and go find a PC/Windows to run it on.

Or buy Virtual PC or something similar.

5. 808 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the responses...but i wont go back! :rolleyes:

6. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Ummm, ur on this forum and you don't know you can't open .exe files on a mac???

That's why people buy macs... becuase they can't open .exe files. This is the reason that very few viruses effect Apples. You should know this, I don't care if you switched........

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Be nice to the newbies, you probably didn't know anything about Macs when you first got one, either... Remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people...eh...answers... Now s/he knows, and while smiling a bit of these kinds of question is understandable for an experienced Mac user, there's no need to be too harsh... ;)

Edit: He-he... the profanity filter doesn't like the word I chose for "half-supressed laugh", derived from 'snicker', didn't consider that the 's' was followed by the N-word.

8. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

250 for crappy virtual pc, or 399 for a cheap PC that'll run virus files... i mean, .exe files all day long (or until the machine craps out).