help opening an optical drive

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by unc32, Jan 29, 2003.

1. unc32 macrumors regular

I have an iMac yet have replaced the standard keyboard with a wireless Logitech version. There is no key to open the cd drive. Is there an easy way to do this without opening a program such as iTunes?

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Re: help opening an optical drive

On your desktop drag the CD to the trash (which changes to an eject button, as you will see).

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

how do you open it up if there's not a cd in it?

i think there must be a key.... i assume you have function keys? i believe f14 or something will do it.... one of the last ones...

if there's a cd already in it, then yeah, dragging it to the trash will work

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

My bad, I can concur, on my old ibook without an eject key f12 did the job.

5. boristhespider macrumors newbie

hey enc32,

If you are running in osx you can put an eject button in your menu bar in the general area of the clock. Either do a finder search for "eject.menu" and drag the folder to your menu bar and an eject button will appear in the menu bar. Or you can find it by going to your hard drive>system folder (with the X on the folder) > library> core services> menu extras........and drag the menu.extras folder to the menu bar.

This feature has worked for me on every mac I've tried it on including a hotrodded beige g3 with a 52x liteon cd burner.

6. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Nice tip, just tried it out and works like a charm.

Only one problem, just to try it out, I added bluetooth to my menubar, and I can't get rid of it. Same with the eject one! How?:confused:

7. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Hold the Apple key and drag the symbol off…….it will go poof!!!!;) :D

8. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

POOF! it's gone, I had tried option to get it off, that hadn't worked. Should have used command .;)

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

.menu

I was browsing through my .menu files and I started wondering if there are an .menu files for itunes avaible on the net or something. Are there any sites that make custom .menu files or something like that?