Help opening Powerpoint files on Windows machine

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AdamZ, Nov 28, 2004.

1. AdamZ macrumors regular

Last week I was totally embarassed while giving a presentation. I normally present my Powerpoint slides on a Mac at school connected to a projector, obviously they are created on a Mac too. But when I showed up to present, the class was moved to a different room which only had a Windows box hooked up. Oh well I thought, Powerpoint is Powerpoint, I just hooked up my iPod and opened the file. BUT NO PICTURES!!! All the work I had done importing pics and other graphics were gone, leaving just the outline of the pic and a little quesion mark letting me know that the pic was missing from the file. How can I fix/prevent this?? Thanks in advanced.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I had an experience like this too, although I thankfully checked the files on Powerpoint for Windows beforehand, so I just lost an hour the morning of, reconstructing my presentation. Half of my images survived and half did not. I think the difference had to do with using the paste special command, and chosing the right format. I'm not 100% sure on what the right format is though. I think enhanced metafile works. I think a couple others do also. Some of the bitmap images worked and others didn't too...I'm not sure there, but it might again have had to do with formats, like gif vs. jpg.... But it was very irritating. :(

This was all with .X FWIW, not 2004.

3. Maxicek macrumors regular

Several (OK about 8) years ago, around the time of OS8, I used to do a lot of authoring of Powerpoint presentations on the Mac for presentation on PC. I think, as stated above, your problem is in the graphics formats. Avoid EPS like the plague, I found it always messes up on PCs. If your graphics are exported from freehand or illustrator, rasterize them as JPEGS.