Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jne381

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Grand Rapids
I finally convinced my friend to ditch her Dell and get a brand new MacBook Pro. I had them install a second 1GB of RAM in at the store, which took a long time because they said the first RAM chip they put in was bad.

Well, we got the machine home, plugged it in and nothing. The light on the front by the latch turned on, and I could hear a faint clicking sound coming from the computer. But no Apple chime and nothing on the screen.

Did they screw up the RAM at the Apple store, or is there a bigger problem that they didn't discover and assumed it was the first RAM chip they put in.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Assuming there are two RAM sticks in the 'Pro, take one out and try to start and if it doesn't, take the other out and see if it starts. Also you might want to see if one of the RAM slots is bad, so when you are switching out the RAM sticks, try switching slots also. Also try resetting the SMC. If none of that works, then return it to Apple and ask for a replacement.

nc7r

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2007
If it's DOA, why bother?
exchange it.

Exactly.

Plus they say if you fit Ram yourself they can't be liable if it messes up, meaning they could blame it on you if they some how found out it was put in wrong / whatever.

Just exchange it if you ask me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.