Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
All right. So I've scoured the internet, and though places like XLR8Yourmac have been useful, I still don't know what size O-Rings to use, nor am I entirely sure what tools I'll need to disassemble the LCS. It's a single-pump Delphi, by the way.

As far as I can tell, there are no leaks; the computer runs fine, except that if I run it at 2.5 GHz (vs. "Reduced" in Energy Saver, presumably 1.25 GHz judging by the benchmark scores....) it overheats to over 200F almost instantly and hard freezes. Thus, presumably, something has gone awry with the LCS, be it a clogged tube, or dried-up coolant. (I can actually hear the liquid slosh around in there sometimes, which shouldn't be the case.)

Obviously that's a bit of an issue for me, and while a quad 1.25 GHz G5 actually isn't half bad, I'd really like to be running comfortably at full speed.

Anyway. Does anyone know *exactly* which tools I'll need? I unfortunately don't have any hex screwdrivers, or even torx. I'd love if someone could link me, if not, simple descriptions would be great too.

I know what to do when I have the tools required, and I know what coolant/etc to use, I'm just stuck on how to take it apart.. and the O-Ring size to buy as well.

Thanks in advance.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
Start tearing it apart and the fix may be easier than you think. Perhaps the LCS isn't properly tightened over the cores.

But, if the pump is working, at least you don't need to replace that. If there aren't any leaks, and it's low on coolant, blame the previous owner. The single pump system is supposed to be the "fixed" version, and more reliable than the dual pump.

How long have you owned this Quad?

Marcush1286

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2011
There was no single pump Delphi.. The only Delphi there was, was a dual pump version with Delphi and Cooligy on it and they were the most unreliable of the LCS on the Quad. The single pump version is by Panasonic and is far more reliable. If your G5 qas built after July or in August of 2006, then you probably have the single pump Panasonic version.

All right. So I've scoured the internet, and though places like XLR8Yourmac have been useful, I still don't know what size O-Rings to use, nor am I entirely sure what tools I'll need to disassemble the LCS. It's a single-pump Delphi, by the way.

As far as I can tell, there are no leaks; the computer runs fine, except that if I run it at 2.5 GHz (vs. "Reduced" in Energy Saver, presumably 1.25 GHz judging by the benchmark scores....) it overheats to over 200F almost instantly and hard freezes. Thus, presumably, something has gone awry with the LCS, be it a clogged tube, or dried-up coolant. (I can actually hear the liquid slosh around in there sometimes, which shouldn't be the case.)

Obviously that's a bit of an issue for me, and while a quad 1.25 GHz G5 actually isn't half bad, I'd really like to be running comfortably at full speed.

Anyway. Does anyone know *exactly* which tools I'll need? I unfortunately don't have any hex screwdrivers, or even torx. I'd love if someone could link me, if not, simple descriptions would be great too.

I know what to do when I have the tools required, and I know what coolant/etc to use, I'm just stuck on how to take it apart.. and the O-Ring size to buy as well.

Thanks in advance.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
There was no single pump Delphi.. The only Delphi there was, was a dual pump version with Delphi and Cooligy on it and they were the most unreliable of the LCS on the Quad. The single pump version is by Panasonic and is far more reliable. If your G5 qas built after July or in August of 2006, then you probably have the single pump Panasonic version.

It was made in May 2006. I know it's a delphi pump.. I assumed it was a single-pump because I can only see one pump.

I bought it off eBay a few months ago, problems were there when I bought it (As-Is).

Thanks Orange, I'll check that out! :)

Marcush1286

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2011
I looked in the G5 Quad service guide and only saw too different LCS systems. The one on the right is the revision 2 or dual delphi model, and the one on the left is the more reliable Panasonic I believe.. I have single also, but I have yet to see someone say that it says: "PANASONIC" on it.

Unless there was a 3rd pump, but wouldn't Apple have included it in the service pull apart guide? The only G5's I know that have Panasonic based LCS systems are the Dual 2.7 and maybe the Dual 2.5(late 2004). Dual 2.7 is Early 2005.

It was made in May 2006. I know it's a delphi pump.. I assumed it was a single-pump because I can only see one pump.

I bought it off eBay a few months ago, problems were there when I bought it (As-Is).

Thanks Orange, I'll check that out! :)

drorpheus

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2010
There's 3 cooling system Apple made, the Delphi Single Pump (on dual 2.5,2.7,quad 2.5), these failed within in the first year on a lot of the dual 2.5's and the 2.7's, while the quads were being made they switched to the Delphi 2 pump at the end with the pumps on top which says Cardinal or Coolidgy on the sticker, they last a little longer but still fail, the Panasonic units which are dual pumps are the final solution Apple made for all three LCS models though I've only seen it in dual 2.5 and 2.7, the panasonic system is bullet proof in terms of leaking and is whisper quiet, the panasonic lcs will be your most solid lcs system but if you repair the delphi it should be ok just make sure to use a bunch of silicone gasket sealant where the plates leak like in the pictures, and I found that the delphi units use normal automotive (gm) coolant in the system not cpu water (the automotive coolant is rated to like 180-210 degrees, the panasonic units use a pinkish red, transfluid colored liquid.

Marcush1286

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2011
Hey,

Thanks for the info.. I called Apple yesterday and their tech told me there were only two types of LCS for the Quad G5. Mine uses a single pump and the date my G5 came out was in July 2006 and it shows something with the word "radiator" in it using hardware monitor. Anyway, its not my original G5 as that was gone a long time ago when I upgraded to a Mac Pro. This G5 sounds a lot quieter than the one I used to have.

The Apple Authorized Tech whom I bought this G5 from told and assured me that the LCS in this is a single-pump and he told me even further that the dual pump cooligy/delphi model suffered from leaks and wouldn't after awhile, cool down the processors. The service guides I have from the 2.5 and 2.7 mention Panasonic, but the Late 2005 Quad model only shows two LCS units in the Quads. There was no mention of a 3rd one on this model though. Do you have a picture of what the Quad's Panasonic looks like? Someone told me that since I have the single pump model LCS that I have Panasonic already.

There's 3 cooling system Apple made, the Delphi Single Pump (on dual 2.5,2.7,quad 2.5), these failed within in the first year on a lot of the dual 2.5's and the 2.7's, while the quads were being made they switched to the Delphi 2 pump at the end with the pumps on top which says Cardinal or Coolidgy on the sticker, they last a little longer but still fail, the Panasonic units which are dual pumps are the final solution Apple made for all three LCS models though I've only seen it in dual 2.5 and 2.7, the panasonic system is bullet proof in terms of leaking and is whisper quiet, the panasonic lcs will be your most solid lcs system but if you repair the delphi it should be ok just make sure to use a bunch of silicone gasket sealant where the plates leak like in the pictures, and I found that the delphi units use normal automotive (gm) coolant in the system not cpu water (the automotive coolant is rated to like 180-210 degrees, the panasonic units use a pinkish red, transfluid colored liquid.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
That sounds correct. I was only aware of 2 LCS available for the 2.5Quad as well. The single pump is revered as the most reliable one.

I have a single pump Delphi system, but I don't know if the actual PUMP says Delphi on it. I'm pretty sure the radiator does, though.

Marcush1286

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2011
Ok, so those like you and me who have the single pump - does this mean we have the best pump available for our systems? I have never seen the single pump up front as a picture to show what it looks like, so I am not sure and I am not about to take off my processor cover to take a snap shot of it either. Do you have a pic of the single pump so we both can verify that this is the more reliable one?

Again, Apple told me there were only two LCS units for the Quad, while the Dual 2.5 from Late 2004 and Dual 2.7 from Early 2005 used the Panasonic as an alternative to those with leaking G5's from the delphi pumps.

That sounds correct. I was only aware of 2 LCS available for the 2.5Quad as well. The single pump is revered as the most reliable one.

I have a single pump Delphi system, but I don't know if the actual PUMP says Delphi on it. I'm pretty sure the radiator does, though.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
Here ya go!

IMG-20110513-00076.jpg

IMG-20110523-00167.jpg

No evidence of failure whatsoever, hoses are supple, everything is sealed.

Marcush1286

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2011
Looks like a more stable LCS to me.. and as I said, Apple makes no reference to a 3rd LCS for the Quad G5, so I guess this is the more reliable one compared to the revision 2 or dual pump one. My G5 came out in the last week of July 2006 and has the single pump.. though I don't know if mine looks like that one per say as I am not going to remove the cover from it to find out. But we have more important problems to worry about now since Apple isn't providing any more security updates to Leopard and non-snow leopard based macs.

You might have heard of the Diginotar CA Root certificate problem?

Here ya go!

No evidence of failure whatsoever, hoses are supple, everything is sealed.

----------

Hello again,

Does it say Delphi on it or Panasonic? Again, I have the service pull apart guide and it only lists TWO LCS's for the Quad, and not a third or "mystery" one.

Marcush1286

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2011
Ok, so does it give a name for what kind of LCS it is? Is this the Panasonic version? I don't recall 3 types of LCS for the Quad G5, but I do know that rev 2 which is dual pump based was less reliable compared to the single one which this is a single pump.

I have the same single pump as posted above. Never had any leaks although a CPU did die on me.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
I have the same single pump as posted above. Never had any leaks although a CPU did die on me.

Yikes... that sounds .. bad!

So far I've taken the thing apart.. there seems to have been zero leakage, as even looking at the O-Rings I see nothing (basically identical to the picture the person posted above).

However, I"m absolutely BAFFLED as t how to run the pump outside of the case with a separate ATX PSU (those are SO not molex connectors!).. someone showed me pics of alligator clips, but it just confused me more.. sigh.

Actually I have no idea how to CLEAN the pump out and fill it back up, much less run it. I'm so lost! Help? :(

So far I have everything I need.. thermal paste, coolant, obviously the tools... sigh. Any thoughts? Pictures of a setup would be great btw for getting the pump to run.. and cleaning and filling it.

EDIT: BY THE WAY, people keep talking about using a "vacuum" to "clean out" the pump.... I have no idea what they mean by this. Do they mean an *ACTUAL* vacuum cleaner (seems unlikely >_>) or, something else? Because I doubt I have what I'd need for that. Also.. where exactly would I hook it up? And while we're at it, which pipe do I open to drain the LCS... and how do I... blah. I"m just 100% clueless.

Oh and um... by the way.. it's DEFINITELY a single-pump Delphi. I can post pics, if you'd like :/

Last edited:

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
But we have more important problems to worry about now since Apple isn't providing any more security updates to Leopard and non-snow leopard based macs.

You might have heard of the Diginotar CA Root certificate problem?

I'm curious why iTunes is still getting updated for PPC but security updates is no longer viable.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
If you wanna run it outside the case for whatever reason, just go to a local Autozone and get whatever length of hose you'll need. Bring a piece of the old stuff in, and they'll match it to what they have on the rack, you can get a custom length.

I've never heard of needing to vacuum out the pump. By vacuum, they mean applying a negative pressure with a vacuum pump to suck out anything.

There is a barb on the radiator for filling the system. Never done it, can't give any advice on that.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009

Yikes. That looks hugely complicated.. and I don't have the required tools... or the space :(

I think I might just drain the thing through the knub/port on the radiator (the one that looks like it maybe should have a pipe attached to it, but is just capped off), and fill it with coolant the best I can and hope for the best.... I guess some air would probably get inside, but this is still better than nothing, right?

Last edited:

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
This is the model LCS I have, by the way. I was thinking of draining it by unscrewing the black cap you can see on the top right.

Attachments

• lovemacs_2177_2486645667.jpg
    lovemacs_2177_2486645667.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 2,425

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
I've tried hooking up the Pump to an ATX PSU, but all I've gotten in terms are results are a melted alligator clip/wire. Help?

W123

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2011
Check and replace the thermal paste on the CPUs before you consider opening the cooling system. My Quad had an overheating A2 core and I found the paste not covering part of the die.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
Check and replace the thermal paste on the CPUs before you consider opening the cooling system. My Quad had an overheating A2 core and I found the paste not covering part of the die.

Hmm. I suppose I could just try reapplying the thermal paste. I still haven't managed to open the LCS (the tubes seem to be fused to the output, or else I'm not pulling hard enough... which seems unlikely..)

I think the paste was doing its job, though. I mean it wasn't perfect, but it didn't seem so bad that it ought to have been causing the issues I was experiencing. I'll try it though... thanks :)

oscarffjr

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2011
replacement cpu block

:confused: hello im new to the mac world and i got my first mac it was a g5 mac with a lcs sytem well my system started to leak so i decided to replace it it was going good till the last min when i went to install the tubing on the cpu block the blocked cracked now i cant put he lcs back together i was wondering what can i do and i doomed ???? i have tried using super glue ,epoxy and anykind of glue i can think of to put it back together and it will not work any help will be VERY VERY helpfull

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.