HELP! Panther install/finder issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by leftbanke7, Aug 8, 2004.

1. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

I have installed 10.3.4 on my Mother's 500 Mhz iMac using my PowerBook in FireWire Target Mode to read the DVDs. However, when I sign in to my Mom's account after the restart, the Finder repeatedly restarts and quits and the HD nor the PB appear on the desktop. I can still use the programs in the dock but the Finder isn't usable. What is this and how do I fix it?

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...Can I assume from your post that you are using the disks that came your Powerbook to install on your mom's iMac? Those disks were made for the Powerbook...you are not licensed to install them wherever you please....oh yeah!

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

Agreed with Duff-Man. And, for the sixth time in 30 days, we have a case of using an incomplete copy of Panther on a machine.

All right, if this post ever appears on a search result for why "my copy of Panther" has this problem, that problem, a whole bunch of problems, a lot of kernel panics, or won't work/install, read: The problem is your "copy" of Panther is not the full retail version of Panther, and your copy is missing critical files needed for it to run on any Panther-compatible machine. So either find a way to include every file from the complete Panther set in your disk copies, or use the full version of Panther.

4. leftbanke7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

I appreciate the ethics lesson. I thought this was a help site and not a damn church. And FYI, I did search the forum with no luck. Hense why I asked the question. I appreciate the answer but you can take your moral indignation elsewhere. Thanks.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....it is a help site, but not for helping with piracy.

Now, what OS was on the computer and what kind of install were you doing (ie, archive and install, erase and install, or upgrade)....oh yeah!

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

(leftbanke7) --> I appreciate the answer

--> but you can take your moral indignation elsewhere.

This is what I get for helping people... well, just MacRy so far that I can recall. I help the person out and be direct and informative in the same post, and then get personal insults back at me just for that. You're being immature for taking offense to my posting style (which I don't see anything wrong with) and then posting about it. If you were mature about it, you would have kept the 2nd above "-->" to yourself. Where was I being morally indignant (IF at all) in my above post?

Also, incorrect about MacRumors being a help site. MacRumors is a Mac community with a focus on rumors, hence the name MacRumors. Assistance, guidance, and tips related to Macs is one aspect of the site, but that doesn't represent the whole site. I, for one, know that, because I've been here longer than at least 90% of all our current members.

7. leftbanke7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

This is all that needed to be said:

"Due to the fact that your disk was made for your PB, there are some missing files and will not work. I would suggest that you purchase the full version of the program for full functionality and to avoid any sort of piracy issues in which might arrise."

However, the response was meant for the both of you. Sorry I wasn't more obvious with that.

And Duff Man, I just shelled out 1700.00 bucks for my PB. The least I should be able to do in install this program on the one additional computer IN MY HOME. It's not being sold, I didn't steal it from Apple nor is anybody outside of my home receiving the benefits of this program. Piracy is a bit harsh of a term here (in my opinion).

I guess this is a touchy subject and I apologize for even asking it as the uproar isn't worth it. I do appreciate the answer you did give.

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

--> However, you not only made your answer seem gruff but you also gave me the impression that I was wasting your time by asking this question

Note: Don't assume something based on writing styles or a sudden impression of the "tone" of the writing style, because you need to verify that with specifics before defending your claims. Otherwise, your assumption seems to others and to me that you went out to insult or to hate.

--> nor did you give me the benefit of the doubt of taking the initative of looking for the solution on my own

That's because I told you what the solutions are. Also, I am not required to give anyone the benefit of the doubt for anything. Expected to? Sometimes. But required to? No.

--> ("Agreed with Duff-Man. And, for the sixth time in 30 days, we have a case of using an incomplete copy of Panther on a machine.")

The reason I said that as I did was to grab your attention in a very specific manner: To say that using an incomplete copy of Panther on a machine causes lots of problems. Then I proceeded to describe those problems in the paragraph that followed.

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....not to flog a dead horse, but....I can't tell you how many times we've gotten that response "I just spent.....so I should be able to install elsewhere..." - well, the fact is that OS X is a *single computer" license, like it or not. Buying some Apple hardware does not automatically give you some magical additional licensing agreement.

May I respectfully suggest that when the time comes next year when you think about upgrading to 10.4, have a look at buying the "Family Pack" version (assuming they offer it again, which there is no reason to believe they won't). It entitles you to load on up to 5 computers in your household and is a real bargain at $199 - that is what I have bought with the last 2 upgrades and installed on the Mac's in my home ....

Now, back to the original question....that install you've done *may* be salvagable...what OS was it running and what kind of install did you do.....oh yeah!

10. leftbanke7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

It's a moot point now anyway. I just installed 10.1.5 to get a functional computer and will go purchase Panther this week just so I don't have to deal with it.

11. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....good man - you're doing the right thing, and I apologize if I was sounding too harsh or self-righteous - it's just that it comes up soooo often and it is a bit of a sore point with me that people have such little regard for the license agreements they "agree to" when they install stuff......oh yeah! :)

12. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

If I have to pay more for the next version because you didn't pay for this version then I'm happy to let the dogs loose on you.

I've told a few people today to RTFM. In this case I'll say RTFEULA and you'll see what you're entitled to do with the software you bought.

Yes, I know this is a dead issue and a moot point in this case--I just wanted to get the pissed off consumer's point of view out there.