help [Panther install]

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by GOTTI1, Jan 16, 2004.

1. GOTTI1 macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2004
    i was told I will have to wipe my disk clean to install panther Iam running 10.2.3.....Iam a mac newbie how do i "wipe the disk"?....does this mean I will have to reinstall all of my apps? will all my files that i don't have back ups for on data cds be lost?
  2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    You don't have to wipe your disk. Just do an Archive and Install (it's an option when installing).
  3. tj2001 macrumors regular

Dec 7, 2003
    Florida - USA
    It's not absolutely mandatory that you "wipe" your drive, but I do seriously recommend it!

That way no 3rd party addition can cause issues and everything is nice and fresh! It is more of a hassle but it is a safe guard for long term ease of use and proper set up :)
  4. DaPt macrumors newbie

Jan 20, 2004
    Install options

When installing Panther, you've got to choose between 3 options:

- Upgrade Mac OS X: upgrading from an older version of Mac OS X
    - Archive and Install: archives your old system files in a folder named "Previous System", you can choose to preserve Users and Network Settings
    - Erase and Install: Erases the entire target-volume! Be sure you've got backups of all files before installing!

Anyway you should back-up your files before installing a new operating system.