HELP!! Panther won't boot

Discussion in 'macOS' started by atx_knepp, Jul 14, 2005.

1. atx_knepp macrumors member

ok, i was doing some clean up of my hard drive, i ddnt delete anything that was essential, and then emptied trash. ok, here's where my problem is, i think, i am using a OLD iBook, 2001, it is a 500mhz G3, and it has panther on it, i MOVED, NOT deleted the system files for OS 9, i ddnt thnk tht it would be a problem, but then i restarted and it is not flashing the question mark over a hard drive pick, as i have seen in the past, but a folder with the mac logo on it, the one that you see on the sides of packages indicating that they are mac compatible. anywho PLEASE help, how do i boot into a safe mode, i tried holding shift, and some apple v thing, neither worked, it is 10.3.8, PLEASE help, quickly

2. atx_knepp thread starter macrumors member

sorry, so my point is that i ddnt DELETE the system files/folders for OS 9, just MOVED them into the trash, so if i can open the computer i can move them out

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Have you got the OS Install disks? If so, load the CD and restart holding down the C key, then it'll boot from the CD and you can probably sort it from there.

4. atx_knepp thread starter macrumors member

that's what sucks, i left them in my apt in utah, i won't be going back for 2 months :( so i need something else

5. atx_knepp thread starter macrumors member

if i connect my iMac to the iBook using the firewire deal, will it work?, i think you hold down T, i dnt remember, but would that work?so that way i can open it up and then drag the OS 9 system files out of the trash and back where they should be?

6. atx_knepp thread starter macrumors member

Someone please help, i have searched, but the only things i find won't work!!

7. atx_knepp thread starter macrumors member

does anyone know another way to start in safe mode? is there any way at all to start the computer so i can pull the OS 9 files out of the trash?

8. allegrocm macrumors member

Yes. Start the iBook up in firewire mode by holding t and connecting it to the iMac. That should work for ya.

Ken