Help: PB AC adapter cutting out

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by zelmo, Jun 28, 2005.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I've had this happen three times in the past few weeks:

My PowerBook (1.33GHz G4 15") is plugged into the wall from the time I get home until I unplug to go to work the next morning. At bedtime, the screensaver cuts on after 10 minutes, then the display goes to sleep after 20 minutes. I do not ever put the PB to sleep except during transit, since it folds. At some point during the night, the power adapter stops sending power to the laptop, the battery cuts in, drains down to near zero, and forces the PB into hibernation. I wake up, see the light ring on the adapter plug is not lit, unplug the adapter, wait a few seconds, plug it back in, and the light ring turns green then orange, and then I can reboot the Mac.

I have my phone cradle and alarm clock plugged into the same power strip without any issues.

Do I have a faulty AC adapter, or am I doing something wrong?

2. aboutthat macrumors regular

Are you using the extension cord that plugs into the adapter (ends in a 3-pronged dealy) or the little 2-pronged one that plugs the adapter into the wall? i've noticed that sometimes if I'm using the 2-pronged one, the contacts can get a little sensitive and it goes on/off without my knowing. Maybe try using the extension cord, if that's the case, it's worked for me in the past...good luck!

3. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I have similar problems with mine on occasion where it'll just stop working for seemingly no reason at all. It's strange because it will not work unless I move it to another plug on the power strip, the thing is other electronic devices still work within the given plug. Right now I'm on my 5th out of a 6 plug power strip so if this happens twice more I'll have to get a new power strip. This has also occurred on a separate power strip on a separate outlet.

so I guess my suggestion is to try it on another plug within your power strip.

4. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

I always use the 3-prong extension cord at home, to get a bit more freedom to move around. I have plugged the whole deal into a different plug on my power strip to see if it happens again, and moved my alarm clock to the plug the PB cord was plugged in to. We'll see if that does anything.