help-Photoshop Freeze on 400 Mghz Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by elephanttrainer, Nov 23, 2003.

1. elephanttrainer macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm having a problem with three Power Macs G4 (AGP Graphics) 400 mghz freezing while running Photoshop. Originally, these machines ran fine with Photoshop. I think we were using PS 6.5 at the time. When I upgraded the machines to 10.2 from 9.2 upgraded to PS 7.0, Photoshop would freeze while performing most functions. I could force this to happen by using the clone tool and cloning a bunch of info, and within a 45-1 minute it would freeze. I tried many things. Reinstalled system software and uninstalled other programs then reinstalled PS. Didn't work. Pulled out a SCSI card. Didn't work.

I was hoping that CS and/or Panther would solve these issues, but it hasn't. I haven't had any other problems with other programs, just PS.

I've called both Adobe and Apple regarding this issue, they have not come up with a dime... Anyone else having these problems with this model? You might note that we also have one 500 mghz model ofthe same family that does not have this problem...

Thanks for any help you can give

2. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I'm running Photoshop 7 in a Powerbook G3 500 under Jaguar with no problem.

You know, trial and error. Go back to 9 then.

3. elephanttrainer thread starter macrumors newbie

won't cut it

I can't imagine that our three machines are the only ones that have encountered this problem.

ANother tidbit, it is using 1.5 gigs of RAM. I've tried both with Apple RAM and other kinds, low and high configurations.

Thanks for your reply Mcmemory, but we enjoy using OSX quite a bit, and can't imagine going backwards. We have done quite a bit of trial and error, so I'm waiting for someone that has the key to this problem...

If we can't get this to work, then these machines will just have PS uninstalled, a sad solution.

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

(elephanttrainer) >400 mghz

400MHz (leaveth outeth the "g")

>I tried many things.

When you said you upgraded to OS X 10.2/10.3, how? Regular install-over (NOT recommended), Archive and Install (not too effecient), or a complete Hard Drive wipe and install (recommended, back up all important files first!) ?? If you haven't done a full rewipe yet on one of those machines, do so, then ONLY install Photoshop (and a few .jpg images only for testing purposes) to see if you have the same problems.

The problem might be with some other software or option that needs to be reselected. Have you checked elsewhere for such issues (i.e. Adobe forum sites, other Mac sites)??

Also, deliver your questions to The Tech Pub in case the help you receive here is not effective.

5. jamall macrumors regular

I have a G4/400 that has been from OS 9.0.4 through to 10.3 inclusive and Photoshop 5.5 through to CS inclusive and everything seems to work fine for me. I do remember a problem with PS 7.0.1 and I think OS 10.1.5 where PS would quit on launch, but a PS reinstall fixed that. I have always done as King Cobra suggests - every major OS upgrade I save all my files to an external drive, reformat my G4s hard drive and start from scratch. It takes a few hours to get everything back to exactly how you like it, but it only happens once a year and prevents headaches like the one you are describing. It's amazing some of the crap I find when I'm sifting through the Library and Preferences folders for things to save.