Help Pick Out My Macbook Case!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bobber205, Aug 30, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I need a good macbook case.

I want to spend about 80 dollars, maybe up to 100 on a good case. I want the ability to carry everything in this thing (a few books, notebooks, power adapter, and small mouse).

Any recommendations? Links are greatly appreciated.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. DwightSchrute macrumors member

You should go to the Apple store and look at the Wenger (Swiss Army knife people) backpacks. They are kinda big (designed to hold up to 15.4", but they can certainly hold plenty of stuff. I bought one but haven't used it yet cause my Macbook is still in the mail. Although you probably shouldn't buy it in the stiore because you should be able to get them much cheaper onlione. I know that Apple charges twice what they pay for them (yes, I know this is standard retail practice just saying you can probably get it cheaper online).

4. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

5. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Please don't rely on neoprene sleeves to protect your laptop. I've seen too many with dents and cracks that were supposedly "safe" in a Tucano Second Skin or suchlike inside normal backpacks. They don't give enough shock absorption.

The Brenthaven suggestion is much better in this respect.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

"
    I don't like to advertise that I am carrying around an expensive piece of technology like I would be carrying a laptop bag."

7. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Yes, I read you the first time.

You can use the Brenthaven as a sleeve if you think it advertises anything - put that in a backpack or whatever.

I'll repeat - the neoprene cases over little to no shock protection. Don't use them for transporting laptops unless they're also inside a properly padded bag.

8. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

That's simply just not true. Neoprene cases offer good, thin protection. I put them in a Jansport backpack with other books (the backpack is probably 1/4 of an inch thick), and as long as you are careful with the pack it will be fine.

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I use a $10 walmart bag and a $40 incase.

And I don't think you can dent the PVC the macbook is made of...

10. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

11. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

It is true.

Let's try a test: drop your neoprene-clad laptop from waist height onto a hard surface. Go on, I dare you.

Cases need to protect from accidents - it doesn't matter how careful you are.

Your backpack has 1/4 inch thick padding, is that what you're saying? If so that's better than nothing.

I'm just offering some sage advice from the frontline, hopefully it'll save someone an expensive laptop repair bill.

12. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

13. DwightSchrute macrumors member

That's pretty sweet SuperSnake. Only problem is they want to charge $9.44 for shipping. Hopefully Amazon gets it in stock in October since they'll have free shipping. Once I find somewhere I can get it without paying a lot (or any) for shipping I'll get one.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The Neoprene case offers protection depending on how you drop it. If it lands on the flat face or at an angle less than 45 degrees on the flat face there will be virtually no chance of major damage, since the force of the fall will be distributed over a fairly wide area. If you drop it on the narrow side there is more chance, but again the sleeve is fairly well padded so I still think major damage is unlikely.

Of course, you could just solve the problem by never dropping it.

15. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Any recommendations for a affordable macbook case that would have room for a few books too?

16. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I dare you to drop your laptop from waist height in ANY case. Go on, I dare you.

17. scott523 macrumors 6502a

Exactly. Nicely said. Not just only a laptop, but any electronic device you drop has a potential to break. If I was looking for a bag, I'd look for something that has good paddings on the bottom, but it's hard to come by.

Moving away from this quote, why would you drop your backpack in the first place? I'm assume your books needs to be in good condition too. So having some padding (such as a neoprene case with your books in your backpack) would provide sufficient protection for an unexpected drop. Otherwise why would you drop and attempt to destroy your investment?

18. flalaw macrumors regular

any experience w/ the slim vertica booq bag? i'm thinking about getting one for my mbp but don't know if it provides enough protection

19. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Well that wasn't quite his point, nor mine.

His point was that the neoprene sleeve didn't provide enough padding for an unexpected drop - he wasn't being literal in that you SHOULD go drop your laptop.

My point was that if you dropped your laptop in ANY case from waist height, you're bound to incur some damage.. to me, the point of a case is to provide a BIT more protection than having the laptop bare.. but mostly for scratches, which it will be best at.

20. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

I certainly would not intentionally do that in ANY case - that's my point. Neoprene-style cases don't give enough protection. Accidents will happen.

I'm not advertising Brenthaven, but this is a good example (although I find him a little freaky!). He intentionally drops a laptop in a non-neoprene case many times over, and the laptop sustains no damage. QED.

Also read these testimonials.

This demonstrates that properly designed impact-absorbent cases are the way to go. Other makes with similar levels of protection will likely be just as good.

21. Horst Guest

I have to agree with the above poster regarding the limited protection offered by neoprene sleeves.
    Such a sleeve will prevent scratches, and that's about it.

Only some sort of hard shell can absorb shocks properly , a thin (or thick) layer of neoprene just can't provide that.

22. Abraxsis macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

Personally, I highly recommend Burton backpacks (yes as in the snowboard gear company). They make two different backpacks with a laptop sleeve that is compatible w/ up to 15" screens.
    I have a model that I purchased last year and I have taken it with a laptop in it on flights 6 times, I carried my snowboard on it on my last ski trip, when camping with it 5-4 times, hiking god only know how many times, and I take it to the gym with me every morning. The things still looks brand new.

Check them out at www.burton.com but buy at www.ebags.com for good deals and cheaper shipping.

23. nmamur macrumors member

Abraxsis is totally right.
    I used a gravis bag(a company owned by burton)for about two years with my powerbook G4(which got stolen two week ago). It was the perfect bag for it. Padding on all the sides except the top. I carried my powerbook along with myself everywhere i went. When my macbook pro arrives i cant use the same bag cause that was for 12" laptops. I believe my next bag will be "the messenger" by burton. http://www.burton.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=445...check it out.

24. TheBusDriver macrumors 6502

I have one of these( http://www.columbia.com/Product.aspx?top=7&cat=710&prod=3621 ) it is waterproof and can hold my biology book and lab manuel, a small three ring binder and a paper note book in the big pocket, my music book and paper notebook in the medium size pocket which is expandable. It has room for my macbook but I just ordered it and it won't be in till later this week I'll try and post pics then maybe.

Edit: the discription on that page is wrong for some reason.

25. JMies419 macrumors 6502

Checked one of these out in the Apple store in Novi Mi. the other day. Very niiiiiiiiiiiiice case. :D