Help picking a credit card company?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Jul 19, 2006.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm currently with Capital One as my credit card company. I personally think they suck, particularly because they lost my checks not once but twice, and they don't block my credit card if I go over the limit - they just fine me a fee.

So I'm looking to move to a different credit card company. I want it to be a VISA card, since VISA can be used almost everywhere. What is a good bank to get a card with?

Is it a good idea to get a credit card under the bank I have my savings in? To make it a snap to pay bills and etc? Or does it matter? Also, I'd like a bank that has a good web interface for paying bills, checking balances, etc.

I know some people like American Express, but I don't like to have more than two cards - one ATM/Debit and one credit, and that's it. I have no need for extras, so unless you give me some really compelling reasons to use American Express, I'd rathar VISA.

I don't care about rewards or whatever, I just want a credit card to pay for stuff. I always pay the bill completely when it comes, so APR% isn't terribly important.

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I have a American Express card, a mastercard from HSBC, and a Visa card from BMW Financial services (they actually have their own bank).

I typically pay my balances in full, i hate credit for the most part. I like the BMW card because it gives me money toward maintenance and an automatic $5000 off the purchase of my next BMW.

Visa/Mastercard are accepted everywhere, at times especially when travelling i have found that Amercian Express is not taken.

Ed

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

My advice to you: STAY FAR AWAY FROM CREDIT

If you insist in carrying plastic, at least get a debit card. Yes Visa seems to be the most used. I'd go for whatever gives u least fees.

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

Yep stay away from the Plastic - it will be cheaper for you in the future!

Credit Cards in the UK seem to have upped to 15-24% ie HSBC Captial One

5. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I had been using credit for ~7 years now. This isn't new to me. I do find credit useful at times - when I don't have the cash, and have nothing in the bank, I can use credit in a crunch - but only when I know I will have the money by the time the bill comes along. And I like the fact that it's safer than debit for the fact that if someone charges your credit card without your permission, you can dispute it. With debit, the money's gone, just like that.

Please don't feed me the "CREDIT IS BAD" line, I just need recommendations/feedback on which banks are good.

6. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

sounds like you really don't need a credit card, but instead you need to just pay of your debt and use your Debit cards(s).

Credit Card companies exist to charge you fees and take your money. Thats their job.

http://daveramsey.com/etc/cms/index.cfm?intContentID=3719

The problem is that your just flat out plain wrong, Visa Debit cards and Visa Credit cards have the EXACT SAME ZERO liability for ANY transaction. If for some reason some idiot steals your wallet the bank has to put the money back. But as you said since there is no money in your checking account and your broke, you wouldnt have to worry about that.

The "Credit is Bad Line" is actually true. Stop hanging out on Macrumors trying to find a magic credit card to fix your problem, and just go get a job, save up some money, and use a debit card.

7. icetraxx macrumors newbie

I have been using Debit cards for a really long time (since I was under 18 not too long ago) and have recently got a credit card in the last year. I ALWAYS pay my balance in full every month. I hate debit cards. Even if you have a mastercard or visa check card (I had 6 different debit cards over the years) most likely they will go through one time or another as a debit card and not as credit and you may be charged a fee. The other problem is you have to have money in your checking account to use it (which accumulates no interest). With a credit card I pay my balance in full every month with a transfer from my high yield savings account. I keep all my money in my high yield savings account and accumulate 4.8% interest at todays rates (its insured to $100,000 too!). So I don't think you should make this guy feel bad for using a credit card, as long as you are responsible a credit card is a superior option then a debit card.

EDIT: I would also like to add that debit cards usually have a daily spending limit that may be quite low. Debit cards have tons of fees attached from what I've experienced.

8. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

... what the ****?!

Nowhere did I say I am completely broke. I have zero debt. I simply said it had been useful in the past when I wanted to buy something to eat, but don't have any money at that moment. I went over the limit when I purchased this MacBook. I have the cash, and I am ready to pay the bill when it comes. What happened was when I paid with my credit card, I saw the cost, and realized it's about $25 over my limit. I told the cashier that, he wiped the card anyway and said it went through. I was like ?! so I went home and called them up. Turns out they allow overdrafting, but charge a fee. The fee is minor, but it turned me off. And as I said I had previous troubles with Capital One. So I'm seeking a new bank. I plan to discard and close the Capital One account and move to the new one, not trying to do some debt-delaying scheme.

Thank you very much for your judgemental post.

9. icetraxx macrumors newbie

No debit card is zero liability. My visa checkcard does not cover ATM withdrawals. If it was stolen someone could possibly use it in an ATM (if they had my pin or found a way around that) and take money out of an ATM and I would never see it again. Credit cards can suffer from this problem too if they have cash advances setup.

10. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

People arent reading BEFORE they hit the post button. I believe he is just looking for a good reliable company to get a credit card from. He isnt looking for a sermon on why you dont like it, and he isnt asking to be treated like a 18 year old that got their first card.

If the other posters took the time to read the post it is clear that the OP has control of his spending and is just looking for advice on what banks are best to go with to get a card, he even says in the post that he pays his balance in full..

That said i like HSBC, their customer service has been outstanding and they take no for an answer when i decline credit limit increases or ask them not to offer me things like credit insurance etc. No Fees for the card.

I just got the BMW FS Visa a few months ago but if their Customer service is anything like what it is for my car then i would be that it is nothing short of spectacular too. No Fees for the card, but im not sure if you have to have a auto account with them also?

American Express has ho hum customer service, i may be dropping my card for that very reason. They do have a yearly fee but if you call and threaten to cancel they will permanantly waive it for you.

From what i can tell by your post that is the sort of info you are looking for, sorry others couldnt help but give you a sermon on money management 101.

Ed

11. Lau Guest

As you say, if you pay off the balance in full each month, APR isn't an issue. I do the same thing. I would rate customer service highest, and an added bonus is some give you cashback when you spend – it isn't much, but I'm not complaining. I'd still go for good customer service and reliability over all that. What about smaller banks? In the UK the bigger ones have dodgy customer service histories, I've found. I switched to a smaller bank (that also ethically invests its money) and have had great results. I get my credit card and my debit/current account from them, so it does make paying bills online easier.

A credit card is great for emergencies as well. The thing that decided it for me was at a tiny Brussels airport when our flight was delayed for 24 hours – we'd run out of cash and my friend's card bought several cold beers at the bar. I went home and applied for one. :D

12. Timepass macrumors 65816

umm legally speaking Debit card are not zero liability. They have no legal protection what so ever if stolen. Credit cards you are only liable for $50 bucks if you card is stolen.

Now most Banks offer zero liblaity on there debit cards. But the guy right Credit cards are a lot safer than your debit card if stolen. It also a lot less painful getting everything covered because the lag time bettween you paying the charge is great on the credit card. Bank the money is taken out with in 3 days and you dont have it any more until the bank puts it in there.

Now imanage if you wrote a check to pay for something and you debit card got stolen and charge a bunch of money to it that comes from you bank. Well before you find out about it you check that you wrote is attempted to be cashed and it bounces. Now you have a bounce check to deal with along with getting you money back.

Plus how credit cards do you there billing you get to look it over before you pay any more.

Over all credit cards are safer to use and less painful if something gets stolen. But Check cards are easier to use. I have both and they are used for different things on how things are payed for.

As for the OP good luck. My credit card is though my bank and I find that the easiest since I can always pay it online if need be by just transfering funds to the credit card out of my bank account and reducing the balance. Plus it just easier to pay the bills that way. The protection is all the same. Since I always pay off my balance the interst rates dont matter (but they are pretty good any how)

13. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

A check card would have done the same thing. ;)

Good banks to get cards with...hmm, Wachovia, Bank of America, Suntrust, etc.

Don't ever go with Capital One, unless you want to deal with outsourcing to India. :rolleyes:

14. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I could swear the banks were now giving liability to their customers because of the direct link between the consumer's card and the consumer's bank. IIRC, you have to file it immediately though...you can't wait a few days and expect not to be liable.

15. Lau Guest

Not when there's no money in the account. :p

(I'm assuming a check card's a debit card. Either way, we had debit cards, and all the money had gone on cheap cigarettes cause we assumed we were about to board our flight back to the UK :eek: )

16. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

This is MacRumors home to the high horse preachers and sermon givers. You cannot ask or make a post around here without somebody telling you why you suck and why their opinion is the best, especially if you didnt ask.

17. Timepass macrumors 65816

A lot of banks to do that. Just legelly they dont have to offer any protection. Most do.

Plus as you pointed out it has to be a quick filing.

Think about it some times you not going to noticed your card missing for days if you dont use it. By the time it noticed it to late. that or if the number is stolen there is not much you can do until you see you statement because you wouldnt notic until then.

that the reason Credit cards are safer is they are farther removed from your money.

For online buying I perfer using my credit card over my debit card because it harder to steal from me though my credit card.

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I would recommend an American Express card. American Express is their own company and they have great customer service.

Visa and Mastercard are tied to the financial institution that you get the card with. Their support can vary depending on the financial institution.

Some like HSBC when charging in a foreign country will add the charge the millisecond that you make it. Others, like Credit Union types, may take 30-45 days before it is posted on your account. Some charge conversion fees, others don't. Some charge interest the day the charge is posted. Others wait until the end of the billing cycle.

Personally, I carry my American Express and one Visa back up with me were ever I go. I charge everything to my American Express when possible. If I can't use it, then I use my Visa.

Also, I pay off all credit cards each month in full so I have no interest charges.

19. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Get the Citibank mastercard series.. they're great - I rack up 300,000 American airline miles every year (sometimes more) They are generous with their credit limit.. sometimes I can spend upto $25,000 on one card, even though the limit is $3500.

I have used the American Express starwood card - the best card for rewards, but AMEX sucks.. big time. They would perform a 'credit check' almost every few months - during which my card would be frozen.. and I would have to fax them 3 months bank statements, tax returns, and what not. Ridiculous if you ask me. I don't have AMEX anymore and I'm very pleased with Citibank's services.

20. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

IIRC, you can actually get a plain Visa Card. That says Visa gold card or Visa Platinum or whatever, or at least, I remember seeing old Visa cards that just said Visa. It might not be like that anymore.

I'm surprised no one's recommended Discover or Mastercard.

21. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I have a Citi card, and have had 0 problems. They never call me to authorize anything, and I can pay my bill online. Works for me. I know mine is a Mastercard, but I'm pretty sure they have a Visa version as well. Good luck.

22. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I like Citibank. They use Mastercard though - but I've hardly found a place that would take Visa and not mastercard.

I don't really know my APR and this month will be the first time my monthly payment will include it. Damn macbook and taking all my non-existant cash. I really hate USBANK... don't know about credit cards - but their checking accounts suck. My account is always off with them - when i balance it's always lowered on their end. It's not me because I get my Citibank balanced correctly every month. sigh :(

23. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

24. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

its a mastercard but I have found the rates and credit limits to be best from MBNA, but that could be cause I am here in Canada.

I have had a Capital One card for 5 years now and no problems, they called me when there was unusuall activity on my card to make sure it was me doing it.

I have my visa card through my credit union.

25. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

For those saying credit is the devil...

Why? Credit cards are convenient and safe to use. You don't have to carry around cash which could be stolen, and is also a safety risk. Plus with credit cards, you get rewards (something cash doesn't give you).

Furthermore, owning a credit card will actually help your credit score (assuming you don't regularly carry a balance, and when you must, you pay it off quickly). Keep in mind, however, owning too many credit cards (even if you never use them) will hurt your credit score.

Get Citi - they have the best commercials. :D