Help! Pioneer DVR-111D Drive Doesn't Fit in my G5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Moof1904, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I bought the Pioneer DVR-111D DVD drive to replace the much slower drive that came with my G5 Dual 2.5. I bought this drive because my research here and on the Other World Computing web site said it was a drop-in replacement.

The problem is, it doesn't fit. The drive door on the DVR-111D extends just slightly too high to fit through the DVD door opening of the G5's case.

I put the slotted metal peg feet from the original drive onto the new drive so that the new drive would stay firmly in place. If I removed the slotted metal peg feet the drive would probably align with the opening in the case but there would be nothing holding the drive in place.

Others here have praised the DVR-111D for use in G5s. Is there something I'm doing wrong that it doesn't fit?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Did you remove the frontmost vertical cover from the drive tray? It should be a pop-and-slide sort of deal to get it out of there.

[edit: here are the instructions from OWC.]

3. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you!!!!!

I had no idea the front bezel came off! Thank you! I was really bummed that my new drive wasn't going to fit!

One somewhat related question: Toast recognizes that the drive burns DVDs at 16x but the Finder, even though it recognizes the drive as the 111D, only offers 2x when burning DVDs from the Finder. Is there something I need to do so that the Finder supports the full burn speed?

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

When putting in new optical drives, I generally run patchburn just to make sure it's fully on speaking terms with OS X. You might try that to see if it that makes the numbers report correctly (but even with a profile, OS X may still get the number wrong).

5. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks again! I just got PatchBurn and installed it and it looks like iTunes sees the drive properly. I know that Toast does. The Finder still sees it as only 2x, but that isn't to say that it will only burn at 2x from the Finder, does it?

In any event, it looks like I've got things going. If the Finder can't figure it out, I'll just deal with it.

Thank you very much for your help.

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Hard to say how the Finder will actually act, you may be throttled there. These problems have a tendency to disappear over time, as software updates catch up with hardware.