Help Playing an AVI

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by carfac, Sep 17, 2006.

1. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Hi Everyone!

I just got some MAJOR back up- 400 gig seagate for 2 bills- so I thought I would see about putting some of my daughters DVDs on there, both to save me a bit of time, but also to protect them from little fingers. Anyway, I did some tests last night with Handbrake. First I did one in mp4, and to encode to 700 megs. I thought the quality was poor- very boxy. So I tried the next as .h264 or whatever the other option is, as an AVI.

This morning, there it was, all encoded. But I cannot play it! QT says it needs a new driver or codec or somthing, and sends me to a page to DL drivers. I chose DiVX, and now it plays, but I do not see or hear anything. So that was not it! What is the proper codec (and where can I find it) for the AVI encoding on the Handbrake?

Also, anyone have any hints on how they get decent quality at smaller sizes?

Thanks!\

D

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Quicktime cannot play AVI files natively. Download a program called VLC - it plays almost anything.

Try not to encode to avi, use .mp4

I use the following settings in Handbrake:

.mp4 file
    H.264 encoding/AAC audio
    1250kbps video bit rate
    128kbps audio bit rate
    I leave the resolution at the DVD's native res.

3. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

G'Day Chundles!

Thanks- I will give that a whirl!

Dave

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Another advantage of using .mp4 files is full iTunes compatibility. You'll be able to add them to the iTunes library, tag them appropriately and if you use the right settings (I don't have a 5G iPod and I've heard there may be some changes to Handbrake needed for 5.5G iPod compliance) you can add them to your iPod so the kiddies can watch them on the road.

When the "iTV" comes out next year you'll be able to stream them from a Mac anywhere in your house to the TV.

Forget avi - .mp4 is the way to go.

5. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

i also have this problem and would like to know is handbrake my best option i tried divx doctor but it didnt work, i use vlc but its a hassle to force the file to open in vlc instead of quicktime

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

There's no need to force it to open in Quicktime, just highlight the file, hit command-I and select VLC Player in the part of the Get Info window that tells you which app to open the file with. Then check the button marked "change all" and voila, all your avis open with VLC automatically.

Stop ripping to avi with Handbrake. Use .mp4 instead.

7. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

i have a similar problem, but is there any way to convert to mp4 from avi?

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

ffmpegx
    iSquint

9. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

awesome. by the time VLC was done downloading from it's slow mirror, i had converted and seen my video thanks to isquint!

10. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Wow- ffmpegx is great! It is fixing all my old AVI's and turning them into mp4's. This is one shareware I will feel really good about paying for- VERY useful, and fast! My AVI's covert to mp4's in about 30 minutes each, double-pass!

BTW, anyone know what double pass (vs. single pass) encoding does? I do it becaue I figure it makes a pass to figure out the best way to encode, then encodes, and single pass just guesses on the fly, but that is just my guess....

D

11. Omni Geno macrumors regular

Omni Geno

I'm glad FFMPEGX works well for you. I used it for quite a while to rip some DVDs, but the app's powers of file-size estimation proved to be a little too flaky for me. Quality and flexibility can't be beat though! But I digress.

The definitions of 2- and 3-pass encoding from the FFMPEGX encoding guide:

hope it helps! :)

12. dylan macrumors 6502

13. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I rarely have issues watching AVI's in Quicktime, and I watch a lot of them!

On the rare occation that they don't play, I just run them through the DEFAULT setting in FFMPEGX, problem solved.

Or I use VLC.