Help playing presentations with arranged monitors

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sjjordan, May 6, 2005.

1. sjjordan macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2003
    United States
    I'm performing a presentation tonight for a medical school function and would like to set up the external projector so that I can set up stuff on my screen, but when I play the presentation, it plays on the projector screen.

Can I do this?

The only way I know how to do it is to mirror my monitor. Can I do it the other way so that the audience doesn't see me opening stuff on my mac? I'm running OS X.3.

2. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    A little info of what Mac you are using would be appreciated. Is it a Powerbook, iBook, or desktop?
  3. ajwitte macrumors member

Apr 28, 2005
    You have some options:

Some projectors have a button to blank the screen.
    Or you could leave the projector off (or disconnected from your Mac) until you are ready.

Recent PowerBooks have a button (one of the f-keys) to switch from mirrored to extended mode when an external display is connected. It has an icon of two overlapping rectangles on it.

With PowerMacs and older PowerBooks, there's an option to do the same thing in System Prefs somewhere (Displays probably, I'm not in front of a Mac right now).

On iMacs and iBooks, Apple doesn't support anything but mirroring for external displays. There are some third party hacks (I think they are patches for the video card firmware) but I have never used one of these.
  4. sjjordan thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2003
    United States
    It's a Tibook 400.