Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ciara

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
Hi!!
Am trying to figure out my router.
Have airport extreme and have utilities up...I see there is a router address - not sure where this comes from, if it is internal or if it was given by my internet provider
Does anyone know the answer to this?

It would be wonderful to chat to someone so I can go through the other fields and try and understand them - such as the domain name and dhcp client id....??
Any help would be amazing!
Thanks
:)

Str8edgepunker

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2001
Philadelphia, PA
When you are talking about a router address, are you referring to one that starts with 10 or 172 or 192.168 or another one that is just random numbers?

If it's one of the three addresses that I listed, that is the IP address of your router on your home network. If not, that IP was given to your provider and is the IP address that your router has on the internet.

Domain name or domain name services server refers to servers that translate those IP addresses into those nice www addresses. If you typed in http://www.apple.com in your web browser, a DNS server would translate that to the IP address of apple.com and then connect you to it.

DHCP client ID is not something to worry about, it is sometimes used to identify your computer to the router and is not necessary.

ciara

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
Thanks so much for replying!
I have posted on sooo many forums today and you're the first reply I've had!

I wanted to ask the difference between the domain name and the domain server, in the utilities box the domain servers are already filled out with numbers but the domain name box is blank and I am not completely sure what to put there.
I own about 20 domain names and the only one I think would be right to put in refers to my server...does that seem correct to you?

Big hugs and kisses your way!
;-)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You need to go to the web site where you got your domain names and read their guides and FAQ on setting up domain names.

It's probably better for you to get a HOSTING PLAN for a simple web site if you want to run a web site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.