Help please! Opening appliactions?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Valak, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Valak macrumors newbie

Hello, well today I cleared EVERYTHING of my Mac except the items that were locked, to get all the space I could get, and now, since I downloaded Mac OS X onto it, it wont let me open anything I try to get of my restore disks! It says to choose an app. to open it, but I dont know which one to put it to! Maybe I'm missing it, and if thats the case, where may I get it?

Please help!

Thanks, Valak.

2. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

you deleted all your apps? and now you're wondering why you can't open your files?? or am I missing something?

3. Valak thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I figured the ones that were locked were the ones that needed to stay!
    But can I get some help on how to ge it back?

4. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

You need a Mac OS X restore disc. Even your Apple apps are gone?!:eek:

5. Valak thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried it and it asks what app. to open it! And by the way I didnt delete them my friends was like "Oh I do this all the time, leme delete the stuff you DONT need," and I said "Ok then."
    But anyways, what application do I open it with then?

6. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

look in your applications folder and tell me you have more than a web browser in there... or are you online on somebody else's computer?

Put in your restore disk , then restart holding c and the mac will start up FROM restore disc, then just follow instructions for a while... should take care of it.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Whatever your mate did he/she has severely buggered your computer. It's an easy fix though, all you need are the restore discs that came with your Mac.

Insert disc one and restart your computer, holding down the C key as you restart. This will boot the computer from the restore disc and you can do a full re-install of OSX. I recommend using the "Customise" option - it appears at the bottom left of the install window - and choosing to not install any of the languages you don't speak and the printer drivers you don't need.

You'll lose any data you had on your computer but it will all be back to how it was when you got it, ready for a fresh batch of Software updates and reloading all your backed up data.

And don't ever do that again. To save space delete files, not applications and only download and use apps that you need.

8. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Don't feel bad, Valak... I've done a similar trick on my g3 before!:rolleyes:

9. Valak thread starter macrumors newbie

I have:
    Address book
    apple script
    calculator
    chess
    clock
    dock extras
    image capture
    internet connect
    internet explorer
    mail
    preview
    quicktime viewer
    sherlock
    stickies
    system preferences
    text edit
    utilities.

Well, thats all of them.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Internet Explorer? What version of OSX are you using?

He/She sure did a number on your Mac.

Time for a full reinstall and don't let your mate near your machine ever again.

11. Valak thread starter macrumors newbie

I have Mac OS X 10.0.3 I need to find a 10.3 download though.:(
    And Ill go try what you said right now!

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

10.0.3?? Holy buggy should've-been-a-pre-release batman!

You need to hop onto eBay and buy a proper copy of at least 10.3 Panther.

But for now you're going to have to do a full reinstall, lose any data you have on your Mac and never, ever let that "friend" near your Mac.

13. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Yeah....if your friends should have deleted stuff you didn't need it was IE :confused:

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, to be fair it was one of the better browsers from that era. Safari didn't exist until 10.2, Firefox doesn't support 10.0 and there are very few browsers that do support that version of OSX.

Valak, when you do finally reinstall OSX, make sure you run Software Update to get to 10.0.4 and then contact Apple for the free (the only free major revision to OSX, available to those who already have 10.0) upgrade to OSX 10.1

Or, you can source a legal copy of OSX 10.3 from eBay or the like, make sure it's a legal copy, 10.3 is cheap as chips now and we really don't condone software piracy. Just make sure your Mac is within specifications for 10.3.

Can you tell us the specs and type of your Mac? Processor and speed, amount of RAM and HDD size etc? It will give us a better opportunity to help you.

15. Valak thread starter macrumors newbie

I would do that if I could get to it, because on the comp. it was restoring, then the CD didnt get out of the CD holder enough for me to get it, then it sucked it back, in and made me restart, and now it wont get off of the start up screen with a "?" and a ":)" going on and off in the middle, and I have to get onto the desktop screen to get the disk out! so any help with that?

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

OK, just stop and take a breath.

If the disc is stuck in there, turn off the computer and restart it, holding down the mouse button as it restarts.

Then, when the computer is on, put the CD in and turn it off again. Restart it now holding down the C key so that it boots from the CD and not the HDD.

Then, follow the instructions for a reinstall.

17. Valak thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the mouse thing didnt work but I got the disk out, and its still doing the smiley file, then "?" file thing.

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

So put the disc in and restart holding down C.

19. Valak thread starter macrumors newbie

I did that and it started up then just stayed on the weird file screen. :(

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You need to hold down C until it boots from the CD - it'll take a little while.

21. Valak thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok Ill try