Help please, re iTunes Library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stevie Z, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Stevie Z macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2006
    I'm afraid I've mucked things up a bit. In short, I have all my songs (saved fortunately on an eternal hard drive) put back in Music>iTunes>iTunes Music,

...BUT they do not appear in the main library when I open iTunes.

I've also, by injudicious tinkering, lost all recent playlists, and have done something so that now iTunes displays a face with playlists from months ago.

How do I get all the songs to show in iTunes again?

(I've not permanently trashed anything)

And if someone knows, where might be my latest playlists, etc. that I seem to have deleted?

Does this make sense?

And if I'm in the wrong forum, I'd be obliged if you'd redirect me...

2. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jul 14, 2005
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I think you just need to go to File>Add to Library in iTunes. The playlists and stuff live in an iTunes library folder under Music. There should be a data file with all your info.
  3. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    You can load the songs into iTunes simply by opening them, but if you have lots of them, the easiest way would be to drag them all onto the desktop in another folder and then import them from within iTunes.
  4. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    You may have deleted your "iTunes Library" file, in which case you have lost your preferences and playlists, but not your music. You say your music is showing up and playing in iTunes ok? Go look at Music>iTunes and see if there is an "iTunes Library" file, and check the date on that. If it's recent, you somehow deleted your old one and made a new on by importing your music into iTunes again.
  5. Stevie Z thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2006
    Standby, guys. I'm trying some of your tips now. Thanks!

Let's see if I can figure this out...
  6. Stevie Z thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2006
    You're the best!

Boston, I did exactly what you said: Done.

iSaint: I'm sure you're correct, but I can live with that. The lists are easy to remake.

A thousand thanks,