HELP please; upgrading memory

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dmut, Sep 28, 2006.

1. dmut macrumors newbie

I jsut bot 2 1GB chips to upgrade my 20" Intel Core Duo iMac. For some reason, when I go to About thie Mac, it is only showing 1 have 1GB of memory. I have tested both chips, and they are good. If I click on "memory" in the computer properties window, it says DIMM1/Bank1 1GB, but does not even list DIMM2/Bank2. Did I screw something up? Have a hardware problem?

Thanks!!

2. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Try just one, then just the other... and try swapping them. Maybe that will pin down the problem. Also blow out the socket... dust maybe?

3. scott523 macrumors 6502a

You should check if 1GB chips are properly seated. By the way, I thought iMacs can't be opened up?

4. dberg macrumors member

this guy is my buddy and I told him to post here for help.

He actually tried each 1Gb on its own in DIMM1 and it worked fine. However when 2 DIMMS are occupied, it only recognizes 1GB. Very odd.

5. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Sounds like one slot may be bad :( Unless some kind of RAM failure occurs only with pairs? :confused:

If he puts the original 2x512 in, do both 512s show up?

What about if he puts in 1GB + 512?

They can be, but not easily and not supported by warranty... EXCEPT for RAM. RAM is very easy to get to: there's a hatch on the bottom edge, and you're allowed to use it :)